Thread: delta 13 " finshing planer 22-580

delta 13 " finshing planer 22-580

Does anyone have one of these. I bought one a few years ago and it came with a dust collection hood. Does anyone get good collection with the delta hood?? I have never been able to get good results

bruce,
    I have one and use the dust collector attachment. Not sure what you mean by "never been able to get good results " It collects the majority of chips, leaves nothing on the wood coming out. Yes, there are some chips thrown out of the machine, but when you consider the direction the blades are pointing as they leave the wood, some chips out of the airstream of the collector are inevitable.
    The attachment keeps things reasonable, I think that expecting perfect chip collection would be unreasonable. I have never seen that on any machine.
    My chip collector is a delta 1.5 horse with the paper filter and a 4 inch flex hose to whichever machine I am using.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Mike,
    I seem to get a lot of shavings coming out the front, maybe its normal, but while watching Norm on NYW when he uses his he doesnt get too much coming out the front.
    The board does exit clean, I just thought it should be a little better out the front, maybe I'm expecting too much from my jet 1100 cannister through my 4 " system

Thanks for the response

I have one that I haven't even plugged in yet...only 4 years old!! There are posts on some forums where they built dust pick ups for these that are 6" instead of the stock 4" pickup. I looked into doing that and decided it would be a waste of time, as the hole the chips come out from the cutting head chamber is only about 1" tall, and 4" wide. One of these days, I'm going to get everything ready in the shop and have to build something, and I'll see if this will even power up! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have that model planer as well. In my case I don't have a real dust collector but I have a 4" to 2 1/2" reducer on the hood and I have it hooked up to a trash can separator which in turn is connected to my shop vac.

As long as the trash can separator is less than 1/2 full I only get stray shavings coming out the front of the planer. As the trash can continues to fill past the 1/2 way point I get more and more shavings. Unfortunatly, I tend to forget that until I'm sweeping away tons of shavings and the separator and shopvac are both overflowing.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce buren View Post
    Does anyone have one of these. I bought one a few years ago and it came with a dust collection hood. Does anyone get good collection with the delta hood?? I have never been able to get good results
    You have to stretch out the machine end of the hood a little bit.

bruce,
    keep in mind that you are watching an *edited* tv show, where the tool in question is provided by a sponsor. So, the way the tool works in our shops will not likely match what is *seen* on video. Not saying the tool is modified, but the video shown is certainly edited.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

You need adequate air flow for it to work well. I've found that if the bag on my 4" DC is more than 1/2 full it starts to throw chips out the front. I am happy with mine overall, otherwise, though. The only problem I've had with it is that the gear shift mechanism got jammed up with fine dust after I let my neighbor borrow the machine. He was running it without a hood and with dull knives. I cleaned out the dust and it works fine now.

I have the previous version, 22-560, with hood and 4" outlet. Works great using my Jet 1100 collector with trash can separator.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    You have to stretch out the machine end of the hood a little bit.
    To do this take the hood off, bend the opening wider, and reinstall. It will work fine.

Delta Planer

I've had one for a few years now and the dust collection is pretty bad to me. The design of the plastic hood lends itself to the 4" suction coming from one side of the hood while leaving a slit at the other end, which seems to clog quite readily. My machine throws a lot of chips out the front, and this is troublesome when the chips come between the rollers and the wood, leaving imperfections. I do a lot of blowing out between passes.

Now, maybe I need a dedicated dust collector just for the planer. Or a more powerful central one for my 4" system. Could be. It cuts very nicely, however. But I think I'd be inclined to try a Dewalt next time or bump up to a more industrial type planer. I do a lot of planing now and I'm beginning to outgrow it.

I had similar issues with my planer when connected to a 1hp dust collector. Now that I'm using a 1 1/2 dust collector with a preseparator (super dust deputy) I don't see any chips left behind.

~mark

Mine works ok with the 1HP single stage attached (4" hose), as long as I don't take too deep of a pass. If I try to plane too much off at once, the dust chute gets clogged and I have to remove it to clear the chips.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by bruce buren View Post
    Last edited by Jason White; 12-18-2009 at 4:20 PM.

I had a Jet 1100 canister and I had collection problems like you mention especially with woods that cause big long curlies. I upgraded to a cyclone and the problem is gone. A while back I download some pics of a mod someone else did to increase the dust shoot area - the stock one is squeezed down quite a bit. I don't think these are in the correct order but I think you can figure out the mod:

Mike

..two more: