Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: They've gone and done it again!!

I suspect Santa for John will be dressed more like the FedEx delivery guy or gal and probably not in red.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My wife is beginning to get concerned that I have some sort of "relationship" with the FedEx and UPS drivers anyway!!! They have been making all too frequent trips up our drive!

"Devious" is simply not enough to describe you guys!!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 12-18-2009 at 8:27 AM.

Speaking of your wife John....

Do we need to ask "Mrs. Keeton.....can Johnny come out and play?" each time?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    "Devious" is simply not enough to describe you guys!!
    Weeeellllll, then what word would you use?

Oh, wait. I forgot for a moment that this is a family forum.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Another sneak attack!!!!

Coming home from the office these days is like a kid going to a candy shop!!!

Had ANOTHER box today! Now, I have to admit - just having a box waiting on me isn't a surprise these days. Even though I have been resistant to the tug of the vortex, I do have several orders coming in from various sources!

Looked at the box, and the label is obviously not from a company. Looked a little closer, and it says SCHLUMPF!!! Another sneak attack!!

Tore into the box, and find -
    SCHLUMPF 1.jpg
    A gorgeous spalted birch bowl blank already roughed out and dry!!!!
    SCHLUMPF 2.jpg
    Four pieces of wonderful BE maple!
    SCHLUMPF 3.jpg
    And, a piece of cherry burl which looks to have some fantastic figure!

To top it off, Steve wrote a very nice letter, giving me the history of each piece of wood, and offering encouraging words.

Steve, thanks! I truly appreciate the generousity and the kind words. You guys are special!

Here is the whole load, along with my new Thompson 1/2" bowl gouge - waiting impatiently for my Nova chuck to come in.
    SCHLUMPF 4.jpg

Guys, this is really getting to me! I saw a friend of mine at Walmart that knew I did some woodworking. He commented that he had some chunks of walnut.

As some of you know, I have a bunch of walnut - all board stock for furniture. In my "past life", chunks of anything meant more firewood! All of a sudden, "chunks" immediately bring to mind other possibilities. So, I stopped by his house and got this -
    WALNUT 1.jpg

This is wet, and I don't have a clue what best to do with it - any thoughts? I would suspect there is some figure around that branch area, but I am not sure of the best way to maximize the use of this. Surely, there is a bowl in there somewhere!!!

Another great present John....
    The way this is going all the wood in the US will soon be in Kentucky.

How many more sleeps till that chuck arrives?

John - I am glad you liked the wood! The White Birch has plenty of wood (meaning it is really thick) so you have enough to play with styles when you go to finish it.

Congrats on the Walnut - first suggestion is to seal the wood with anchorseal or latex paint to keep it from checking. I would just seal it and set it aside until you have a little more playtime on the lathe!

Hope your chuck shows up soon cause I'm looking forward to seeing what you turn out of this mess!

Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Gary and Steve, the chuck is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday, the 22nd! My daughter will be in on the 23rd, so with Christmas, I doubt I will get a chance to do much until afterward. Hopefully, all will be quiet on Saturday and I can chuck up something and see what happens!! Sunday, we have another family event, so not much time this next week. Wish it was here for this weekend - would be a perfect time!

If latex paint will work on the walnut, I have plenty of that. I will just lay on a thick coat on both ends and the knot and let 'er sit!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 12-18-2009 at 9:23 PM.

Congrats, John, on your latest care package. These guys are going to keep you busy for a while.
    Bo

How much money and/or time did "The Creek" save you today. I'll bet it was more than the cost of becoming a contributor.

John, if you have a woodcraft near by you could pickup a woodcraft chuck and be turning by the afternoon
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    John, if you have a woodcraft near by you could pickup a woodcraft chuck and be turning by the afternoon
    David, that is just another sneaky way to get me deeper into this abyss!!! Besides, the Cole jaws that are sitting in my shop with nothing to attach to, wouldn't fit the woodcraft chuck.

They do have Nova though.......hmmmmmm. Nope, better not!

Nice pieces but what caught my eye was the note about the history. To me, knowing the history of the wood that you make something out of, just makes it that much more special. If you ever post what you turn from of it, I hope you will share its story too!

Sheesh John they do carry more chucks than the woodcraft model. I think they do have G-3's. You will need one for bowl jaws, cole jaws, pin jaws, shark jaws, etc., etc., etc. Just trying to help.

Congrats on the package from Steve. Thats just to cool. John is like a kid in a candy store and grandpa just gave him a quarter.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.