Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandpa's No 6

Grandpa's No 6

Awhile back dad gave me a few of my Grandpa's old planes, I finally got around to restoreing this number 6. I used mohawk satin black for the body and lace wood for the tote and knob ( man that stuff is hard ) the blade was sharpened to 8000 and leather honed...sole and sides are flat, didnt need any work......whada ya think ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

What no shavings? Seriously though very nice job, I love the lacewood knob and tote.

Blog Entries
    That is pretty. Only thing that could make it look any better is to have a before picture for comparison.

BTW, don't pay any attention to what others say about a #6 not being any good for anything. I use both of mine.

The best thing about others not liking them is it makes the price better for thems that wants one.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    David, it looks great. I love the lacewood!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Looks like you have a brand new #6 there David.
    Great job!
    Even nicer that it was you grandfathers....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

The best thing about others not liking them is it makes the price better for thems that wants one.

Exactly.

Now if we could just spread the notion that 4 1/2s were useless...

“I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

I'm new to working only with handtools, and I proudly display my Lie Nielsen planes, though having something like you have both looks great and has an awesome connection with you. You should be proud. I hope my grandchildren value my tools the way you value your grandfather's.

That looks great. And I love the lacewood knob and tote.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    That's a beauty. I really ought to get on my Grandpa's hand me down.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Gorgeous! I need to look at alternate woods for knobs and totes. I am getting a little more into turning so now I can make the knobs match the totes.

I happen to like the #6 a lot. I plan on adding at least one more to my group. Then again I also like transitional planes (something of a misnomer), so I guess there's no hope for me.

RD

I'm with Jim on that one, i use my #6 all the time, I think it's better than a #5, you can use it for stock prep and to joint shorter boards etc etc... But I also think that a #8 is the best plane out there!!
    BTW you did a great job on getting this #6 back to life!

Thanks for the kind words, this was a fun restoration but it will be a user
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Very nice restoration! I've got oldies from #3 to #8, and for the scale of work I do, I often pick up my #6.

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    Awhile back dad gave me a few of my Grandpa's old planes, I finally got around to restoreing this number 6. I used mohawk satin black for the body and lace wood for the tote and knob ( man that stuff is hard ) the blade was sharpened to 8000 and leather honed...sole and sides are flat, didnt need any work......whada ya think ?

Dumb question for the day.

"I used mohawk satin black"
    Mohawk makes paint? I have only seen clear top coats and toners from Mohawk. Where did you purchase it from?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Dumb question for the day.

"I used mohawk satin black" Mohawk makes paint? I have only seen clear top coats and toners from Mohawk. Where did you purchase it from?
    Dave, I'm a ( part time ) dealer for mohawk

yes, they have colors, oils shelacs and alot of other stuff. if you want a catalog PM me your address
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired