Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust

Rust

I know this topic has been beat to death on cast iron tops but I was at HD and saw a product called Krud Kutter for removing rust and to prevent it from returning. Has anyone tried it.
    Thanks

Rust

I haven't,but always looking for something better.Check it out and report back with the results and what you think.I have heard that evap-o-rust is good for removing but not to prevent it.----Carroll

best stuff i've found is boeshield. they have it at sears, or you can order it online from various places.

i use it in lieu of wax, and my tools last well past a year between coats, with daily use.

I use Boeshield and here in Florida with recent heavy humidity, my table saw and jointer completely rusted on the top. Cleaned promptly with WD-40, then coated with thick coat of WD-40. I believe only real solution with our weather is use Boeshield and cover with a tarp or large plastic bag.

WD 40 can leave a bad coating on metal which is very hard to remove. This according to Practical Machinist's forum. Years ago there was a big discussion about WD 40. Boeshield was also not well thought of by the members. I can't recall what the best product recommendation was. It was a non issue for me as my shop is climate controlled,and I don't store stuff outside.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    WD 40 can leave a bad coating on metal which is very hard to remove. This according to Practical Machinist's forum. Years ago there was a big discussion about WD 40. Boeshield was also not well thought of by the members. I can't recall what the best product recommendation was. It was a non issue for me as my shop is climate controlled,and I don't store stuff outside.
    George,

Good info. The WD-40 is for short term - until this weekend. My plan is to remove the WD-40 and re-coat with Boeshield.

Please try to remember the best product - we all could benefit.

Howard

I put on the boeshield and then wipe it off, let it dry and then use paste wax like Johnsons. I had a leak upstairs from the kids playing it the bath tub and my table saw got soaked. When I found it a couple days later the water was still sitting there beaded up on top of the saw but no rust.

Anti-rust

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Livingston View Post
    I put on the boeshield and then wipe it off, let it dry and then use paste wax like Johnsons. I had a leak upstairs from the kids playing it the bath tub and my table saw got soaked. When I found it a couple days later the water was still sitting there beaded up on top of the saw but no rust.
    +1 Boeshield is terrific when it comes to protecting against rust and corrosion, but folks need to follow the directions.

Light coat, then wipe it all off. Like you I follow it with a coat of paste wax to provide a slick surface. Boeshield by itself will not leave the slick surface that I want. Put on a thick coat of it or not wipe it off well and you can get a gummy surface.

Regards,

John

I put on the boeshield and then wipe it off, let it dry and then use paste wax like Johnsons.
    This is my method too. I think I may go a lttle overboard with the Johnsons - I put on and buff out a thin coat probably every three weeks whether the tool has had a lot of use or not. Seems to be working so far tho, my shop isnt exactly climate controlled, and no rust yet.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Miller View Post
    I use Boeshield and here in Florida with recent heavy humidity, my table saw and jointer completely rusted on the top. Cleaned promptly with WD-40, then coated with thick coat of WD-40. I believe only real solution with our weather is use Boeshield and cover with a tarp or large plastic bag.
    Howard,
    I fully understand the Florida issue. Putting a tarp over it could actually trap moisture and you'll have condensation rusting on your CI. My solution has been paste wax. It works VERY well with my tools in an uninsulated garage shop. I re-apply after a large project when cleaning the shop. Unless the tool is used and wax worn off, there is no need to re-apply. As stated above, the water will bead on the wax and therefore not rust. The trouble here in FL is the underside and internal CI surfaces that need a sealer applied.

I remove rust with WD40 and a scotchbrite pad. Clean it up with mineral spirits, then go over it with the SlipIt sliding compound. Has worked well so far.

I tried boeshield and TopSaver and neither really satisfied me.

I recently ordered some magnetic sheeting that I plan to cut to size for my TS, Planer, Jointer, and Mortiser tables. It was cheap too. It will just be part of my routine to cover my tools before leaving my shop.

I bought mine on ebay from this seller. It's in the mail right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10Ft-x-24-x-30mi...ht_3496wt_1109

Have not tried this, but I will this weekend. How long do you let the Boeshield dry before the wax is applied?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Miller View Post
    Have not tried this, but I will this weekend. How long do you let the Boeshield dry before the wax is applied?
    I let it sit there for just minutes and then wipe off the fluid and then let it dry good, a day or so but I didn't wipe out the miter slots as well. I left those well coated because I knew I wouldn't get the wax in there as well. Then I coated it with SC Johnson wax and actually buffed it with a power buffer and then re-coated and did it again with the power buffer.

I just recently finished my new 22X24 shop. I had my tools in unheated storage for 1.5 years. Of course the jointer and bandsaw were covered in rust. However, I had placed a piece of hardboard, shiney face down, on the table saw and it was like the day I put it in there. NO CLEANING needed!!!!!

I would suggest, cutting a pattern the size of your tools and covering them if you'll be gone for a extended time or if you have very high humidity. I'd think it would be very easy to manage.

It's just a thought.... Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Dominski View Post
    I know this topic has been beat to death on cast iron tops but I was at HD and saw a product called Krud Kutter for removing rust and to prevent it from returning. Has anyone tried it.
    Thanks
    I too would like to hear from those that have used Krud Kutter. You would think somebody had experience with it.