Thread: Router Forum

Router Forum

Surely there must be others out there interested in a Router Forum and save all the time looking round all the other forums to see if someone has posted something about routing. Express your interest.
    Tom

Without a very very strong reason, I am opposed to spinning off additional forums. I certainly don't thinkthat we should have a seperate forum for one of the "standard" power tools.

I have found that the search capability is quite good at those times when want to confine myself to a narrower perspective than that of the "General Woodworking and Power Tools" topic.

My experience has been good just asking a question or posing a thought and having those who are interested responding in kind. I also like the search function for more exact reading. I can't imagine how much work it would be looking up several diifferent forums a night to cover all my favorite power tools.

I'm with Frank. In the absence of a compelling reason I would rather not splinter our knowledge too many different ways.

Most of us have at least one router and therefore most of us have something to say or hear on router related issues. I can easily see why the laser forum is seperate because most of us don't have a laser engraver. I can see why the neanderthal section exists because many over there don't want to listen to the noise that we all make with our power tools.

I think that we have the right number of forums as it is.

Hi Tom:
    If you're interested, try this link:

Moderator deleted direct link to another public forum.- violates SMC Terms of Service.

mjk
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 10-09-2004 at 9:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Kollar
    Hi Tom:
    If you're interested, try this link:

Moderator deleted direct link to another public forum.- violates SMC Terms of Service.

mjk
    How is the link accessed?
    Tom

I'd have to agree...the lathe is a little more distinctive for ww'ing over a router which is as common as a table saw any more. "Router stuff" should stay in the GWW & PT section.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Pappy always says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."! SMC works well and is very popular the way it is. Let's not ruin it with too many splinter (pun intended) groups.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Lightbulb

Tom,

Routing topics don't really belong in any forum other than the General Woodworking Forum, so you shouldn't have to look in the other forums for Routing threads.

As far as creating another forum specific to Routing, we could add it, but I think we should wait until we have more routing topics posted in the GWW forum to justify it. No?
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Then we should have a spokeshave forum and a Japanese saw forum and a laminite trimmer...no that could be a sub forum of the router forum...but guided saws are popular...we need aforum for those...if we have spokeshave we must have aftershave also...I can't decide I will leave it to the experts...don't forget the Roman Forum though
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Without a very very strong reason, I am opposed to spinning off additional forums. I certainly don't thinkthat we should have a seperate forum for one of the "standard" power tools.

I have found that the search capability is quite good at those times when want to confine myself to a narrower perspective than that of the "General Woodworking and Power Tools" topic.
    Ditto what Frank said.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If folks use subject lines that are descriptive and pertinent, then the subject itself can act as a "forum" title for that thread. Use the "New Posts" feature, and you'll see which "forums" are active. For example, if I had a problem with a collet sticking in a router, I might title my post "Collet question" in a dedicated router forum, but since we don't have one of those here, I would title it, "Router collet question." Those interested in answering questions about routers or more specifically collets, would hopefully see the subject when they use the "New Posts" button, then join the thread. A little bit of a forum hierarchy is fine, but there's no real reason to have to drill down several levels to view a thread.

Jason
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Then we should have a spokeshave forum and a Japanese saw forum and a laminite trimmer...no that could be a sub forum of the router forum...but guided saws are popular...we need aforum for those...if we have spokeshave we must have aftershave also...I can't decide I will leave it to the experts...don't forget the Roman Forum though
    My thoughts exactly Mark! As I started reading this, I thought the logical conclusion is going to be the screwdriver forum, the wrench forum, the tape measure forum, and so on. I do not mean to denigrate anyone here, but this whole place IS a woodworking forum. Espcially with the new posts button, it is not hard to browse through quickly to see what is pertinent to our interests and what is not.

Bill

Very descriptive Titles would help in searching for information.

There are so many things a router can do, that other methods also do, and the power tool forum is where I spend the bulk of my time. I might miss something if it was spun off (no pun intended) like the lathe forum.

I even find stuff that I didn't know I was interested in until I read a Title that cought my eye.