Thread: Unisaw lift adjustment? It’s grinding.

Unisaw lift adjustment? It’s grinding.

I just bought a used Unisaw. It’s my first one, and it is a 34-802 model with very little use (ten hours or less). When raising / lowering the blade, it makes more noise than I think it should. I don’t suppose lubricating the worm gear is a good idea as it would probably just make things worse as the sawdust collects to it? Somtimes it sounds like it’s grinding metal to metal. I was wondering if this is usual, or if there is some sort of adjustment I can make. I don’t readily see anything to adjust. Nothing apears to be wearing or rubbing.

Try some dry lubricant, like graphite. The saws were shipped with Delta "Special Lubricating Grease" (Shell EP is a good sub) but it attracts chips and dust.Don't run it dry...and if it's dry now, check for really sharp edges on the worm.Could be that the last owner cleaned it up and neglected to re-lube the gear train. My personal preference is bar and chain oil, but it makes a mess in the DC. That and it has to be reapplied regularly.

Mick

Bee's wax or even candle wax will lube the worm enough to prevent friction and wear. Neither attract chips and dust like grease would.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I use the same Johnston's Paste Wax for lubing the trunnions and worm gear that I use for waxing the top. It works great.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Check out the lock knob mechanism. I replaced the worn out stop with a piece of brass which made it quieter and actually lock.

Trunion and worm gear lube

I agree with Cody. Been using Johnson's Paste Wax for 40 plus years. Heat and bend old tooth brushes at different angles to use as applicators for hard to reach areas. As said before, great on the top, also.

Ts

It may be that the worm gear and the tuenon gear may have become mis-line.Only way you can tell is by removing the table top and looking,which is alittle extreme.But,while you have it off go through and clean,examine,lub,aline all moving parts.Post some pics of your new toy---Carroll

I use LPS1. Clean off the dust first, then just spray it on. It's a dry lubricant, so dust free. Just takes a few minutes once every month or two, and the wheels spin effortlessly.

Thanks. I tried some beeswax (because I have plenty on hand) and that did the trick. I’m glad I asked, as I would not have thought to use beeswax.

Pictures??? OK, but they’ll have to come later. The Uni looks naked right now. I’m currently in the middle of building some filler tables for the Incra Fence my girlfriend bought me for Christmas.