Thread: 12-2 wg wiring price alert

12-2 wg wiring price alert

Just thought I'd let all of you who are building/remodeling your shops, if you need some wire for your 110 circuits, I ran into a great deal at the Blue Borg today. I always go to the orange one first, and usually find slightly better prices there. Got their price, (44. something) actually had a 250 foot roll in hand, then remembered.......the afternoon project I needed the wire for also needed some glass globes (ceiling fan in my wife's music studio), and the ones we found she liked were at the blue borg. So I put it back, priced some other things I was interested in, the went down the street. I found the same stuff marked $26.90!!! Same 250 ft roll!!! I asked the guy if that was right because the price card just said uf, not uf-b. He said it was. about 4 feet down the shelf they have the 100 foot roll of the same stuff, slightly different package, but I'm pretty sure the same brand, and it was $31.40. So I went and got a cart, grabbed 2 rolls and expected a fight at the register, but it rang up #26.90/roll.
    So, I now have enough wire for all of the 110 circuits when I finally get to work on my shop remodel. Hope if any of you need some wire for 110, that your local blue borg has the same price!!! Jim.

Jim, is it grey? (to the best of my knowledge, UF usually is and is for outdoor use) I believe you want NM which lately has been yellow in color for 12 guage, although some places still sell it with a white cover. If it is the outdoor stuff, it's "not pretty" to strip and terminate and harder to bend around corners.

Talking

Yes Jim, it is the grey outdoor stuff. In the building I will be using it in, I will have no heat or A/C, except for the 10 X 12 office/dog isloation room, and then probably only when we have a sick dog in there. The main shop (20 X 24) and the finishing room (12 X 14) will not be temperature controlled. So even though it might be tougher to use, and probably overkill (my middle name!!!!) I decided at that price, I'd go ahead and do it. It was actually about the same price as the indoor-yellow- packaged the same way. And I'm used to heavy hard to strip wiring. I used to install car audio for a living (younger days when I could curl up in the trunk of a Mustang, now I have trouble getting in the front seat of one). We used a lot of heavy guage power wire from the batterieis to the trunk for amplifiers. The car manufacturers don't build in slots for this stuff to run ;-).
    But you're right, it may not be for everyone. Jim.

Good price, Jim. I just picked up a 250' roll of 12/3 Indoor from HD for $44 last night. It was the best price between my local h/w store and HD. I have some older 12/2 and I noticed that the 12/3 requires a much smaller hole to poke it through studs than the older 12/2!! Upon closer inspection, I see the 12/3 has a lot thinner insulation around it than the 12/2. I'm not sure I like that but that is what's available....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Good price on the wire Jim. Makes me want to quite dumpster diving for it. That gets a little messy at times. Lol
    Steve