Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: drum sanders

I'm sure that many people who can afford to spend $3k on a 15" wide belt sander (15"? seems kinda small for $3k but what do I know) would tell you to stay away from every tool in my shop.

I have a 16/32 performax drum sander and I think its great. I used it to help refinish a number of different things that needed the finish sanded off and have sanded a few larger panels that wouldn't fit in my 20" planer.

Its a little fussy to set up so you can use the full 32" but other than that it works great and the dust collection is awesome.

Make sure the one you are looking at has the bolt that adjusts the tilt on the drum. from what I understand at one time that adjustment bolt wasn't in the system.

I have the Performax too, and the critical point for me, between the Delta and the Performax/Jet, is that the table IS stationary and the head moves. You can build infeed/outfeed tables or rollers. If you need to sand long items with the Delta, you'd have to adjust the infeed/outfeed tables every pass. If you plan to sand long heavy stock, that may be a factor.

Yeah, I rather have a wide belt.... No can afford. Drum sanders are fine, just have to know what the limitations of your particular machine is. For the weekend woodworker, they are plenty capable. Production cabinet shop? No.

3. First post for this guy.

Hello all. Really nice site here. Can't believe I've never seen it before.

As to the topic, a wide belt sander would be a dream come true for me but reality is some of those things cost more than my first two houses combined. I've heard stories lately about shops getting their sander "repossesed". Yikes!
    My 24" Grizzley drum sander is one of my labor savingest tools. Bought it used from a fellow who said he could not get it to operate well. I downloaded the manual and found that it was way out of adjustment. I used their setup methods and it works great now.
    A few things that have worked for me.
    A piece of mdf with scribble marks across it's face will show you right quick whats happening inside.
    You can flip a pc. side for side to evenly sand until you get the time to set it up.
    The velcro sandpaper has made life easier.
    The new ones have a lighter colored belt that is "stickier" and will probably allow side by side feeding.
    My old black belt is slicker, bad things happen if side by side feeding is attempted.

I've really enjoyed my Performax 16-32, bought used. I've never had to adjust the head or the feed belt. If you get one, you'll enjoy using it and find it to be a useful machine in your shop.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Smile

The Jet 16x32 is great for making cutting boards. It makes sanding the end grain almost fun. You just stand there and watch the sander do all the work, and the board is perfectly square. Love it.

I sold my 24" General double drum today.. Made me think of this post. .
    Its only about 2 years old.. Sold it to a buddy for $1200.00 ..

Its a good machine..

Never used a Performax OR a Delta, but my ol' Grizzly G1066 DD is wayy better than nothing at all! Sure beats any other means of smoothly sanding many panels for a complete kitchen-full of raised panel doors. I run same grit on both drums for double bang-for-the-buck on each pass!

I may have to take exception with the $50 shop-built DS! But, it depends on how rustic one wants to go, and if it will armstrong-powered, or have a power conveyor.

Of course, the Griz (or any drum sander) will never approach a big wide belt! But for less than $1000, I can't gripe. IF a real bargain on a Big 50" Woodmaster ever falls into my lap, I won't blink. Til then, I'm gettin' by Ok!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!