Thread: Pocket hole 101

Pocket hole 101

Since I am starting the cabinets in the remodel finally, I thought it might be a good idea to brush up on my Kreg jig, and pocket holes in general.

A few recent posts complained of problems getting the boards to stay aligned, and I too, have had that problem, usually the left side of the rail raises slightly looking at the face of the project. Sanding takes care of it, but sometimes it is a little too much.

OK, here goes. I started by reading the info that came with the jig for the first time. As you know, it calls for putting the larger surface of the clamp on the FACE side of the joint (IE at the bottom). It also calls for drilling the holes almost through the rail, but not quite. Now that part is interesting, as I was told recently that another maker of jigs recommends going all the way through.

I have three types of Kreg clamps. One is the original type which uses a 6" vise grip, the next is what I think they call their premium clamp, which has larger pads on it, and is made on a 9" vise grip. My third kind was the one with the peg leg on it that is made for holding the panel to the stile while fastening. I have added 2x2 blocks of wood with an indent to put the peg leg in, as well as putting 100 grit sandpaper on the block (see my recent village idiot posting).

OK. Here goes:

I made 15 practice joints in 3/4" oak, eight were made with no glue, and seven with glue. I did this many basically because I never thought I would get that far into it, and after doing the no glue tests I wanted to see how much difference the slippery glue would make.

Half of the joints were made with stopped holes where the drill did not go through. The other half were through holes. All except the last one were made using a sheet of melamine as a table, and I clamped to it.

Stopped holes with no glue:

#1. Standard clamp, srewing in the right hole first, it slightly pushed the piece away. Snugged up with very slight misalignment.

#2. Premium clamp, screwing R hole first, a slight misalignment as above.

#3. Pegleg clamp, R hole first. Slight pushaway on R side, but snugged up perfect.

4#. Same as #3, but L hole first. Less pushaway, and snugged up perfect.

Through holes, no glue:

#5. Standard clamp, L screw first. No pushaway, snugged up very nicely.

#6. Premium clamp, L screw. No pushaway, snugged up very nicely.

#7. Pegleg clamp, L screw. No pushaway, snugged up very nicely.
    Stopped holes, with glue:

#1. Standard clamp, screwing the right hole first, it slightly pushed away as I was screwing, but straightened up ok when I tightened it. It seemed to torque the left side up a bit when putting the right screw in first.

#2. Premium clamp, L screw first, again a slight pushaway when the first screw entered, but it straighted up ok.

#3. Pegleg clamp, L screw first, very slight pushaway, straighten up ok.

Through holes, no glue:

#4. Std clamp, R screw first. Very slight pushaway, straightened up ok.

#5. Premium clamp, L screw first. No pushaway, straight.

#6. Pegleg clamp, L screw first. No pushaway, straight.

#7. Pegleg clamp, L screw, no table, just clamp. No pushaway, straight.

I suppose you want to know about #15, which was actually the first one. I had moderate pressure on the standard clamp and it twisted, misaligning the face. The rest of the joints I clamped very tight...much better. All the other joints were fine with a quick sanding.

OK, what did I learn from all this??

1: The larger clamps are better.
    2: Squeeze those suckers tight.
    3: I prefer to drill through holes.
    4: Push hard on the drill when starting to screw.
    5: The sandpaper glued on the wood block works great.
    6: I prefer to start with the left screw.
    7: The center of the clamp goes over the center of the joint for best hold.
    8: I like to butter glue on the end grain only, then clamp. Two coats, the first to seal it, then a minute later the other coat.

Sorry about the length, If you are still with me, I repeat...in my case most misalignment problems seem to be caused by not clamping well.

Rick Potter

Someone has been reading too many Fine Woodworking test articles! :-) On a serious note, thanks for the research. I was just about to screw together a face frame and I'll keep all this in mind.

My experience too...Clamp the %#* out of it!

I'm pretty sure I've got a kreg kit sitting under the tree this year; finally. There's no doubt your trial and error conclusions will come in handy. Thanks.

Redheads are like other women – only more so

Excellent test. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Blog Entries
    No doubt in my mind. Clamping very tightly eliminates any problems with joint alignment. Also good hard pressure on the drill driving the screw seems to work best.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I set the drill collar according to the jig for the thickness of the material. After drilling the pocket holes take a look at the bottom of the stock where the screws will pass through. If there are dimples protruding then there is a chance for push away and or missalignment. A quick swipe with sanding block to remove dimples usually reolves any issue.

My .02

Greg

Rick...Could you go into a little detail about drilling all the way through the rail. Will that not make the screw go to deep ( all the way through) in the second piece?

BTW...Harbor Freight has an outstanding pocket hole jig.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sznajdruk View Post
    I set the drill collar according to the jig for the thickness of the material. After drilling the pocket holes take a look at the bottom of the stock where the screws will pass through. If there are dimples protruding then there is a chance for push away and or missalignment. A quick swipe with sanding block to remove dimples usually reolves any issue.

My .02

Greg
    Thanks Greg! Never thought to get rid of the dimple.
    BTW, I keep two small pieces of 100 grit paper handy during glue ups. After applying the glue, I rub the two pieces of paper together over the to be joined pieces to get a little abrasive in the glue. Really helps with the creep.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

ive found that pre-drilling the mating piece helps with alignment problems. seems even though the screws are self tapping the pressure they exert on the mating piece can skew the work pieces if you dont Clamp the %#* out of it! as joe said

Greg...Right on about the dimples. I think the scale on the side of the jig goes a touch too deep, just enough to cause the dimples, which I always sand off anyway.

Johnny..I am using 1 1/4" fine thread screws for oak, as recommended.
    They recommend 1 1/2" for pine, so there is some leeway there. Drilling all the way through has not been a problem for me, and I screwed them snug, then tightened hard with a hand screwdriver. I suppose there may be a problem if you through drill on pine then try the 1 1/" scews, but I don't do that.

If you drill through holes, only drill deep enough that is passes through. No deeper. Using the through holes lessened the push away a lot. Also, note that it will put small divots in the bottom of your Kreg jig. They don't hurt anything, but I thought I should mention it.

Your mileage may vary.
    Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyy Johnson View Post
    Rick...Could you go into a little detail about drilling all the way through the rail. Will that not make the screw go to deep ( all the way through) in the second piece?

BTW...Harbor Freight has an outstanding pocket hole jig.
    You need to be careful, the pilot part of the drill bit can just poke thru the rail, and you will be okay using 1 1/4" washer or pocket hole screws in 3/4" material. I personally do not drill thru holes, and have never had a problem with the self-tapping screws and keeping the faces aligned. Clamp the , well you know, outta it.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!