Thread: Need help with stuck stripped jaw screws

Need help with stuck stripped jaw screws

I managed to strip 2 jaw screws one in each of 2 jaws. They were stuck and managed to strip the hex head trying to get them out. I sprayed them with WD and let them sit a few days and that didn't work. I was thinking about taking my dremel tool and cut a slot over the top of the center of the screw and then use a steel chisel to move the screw by tapping on the outside of the slot.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Quinn

take to favorite auto shop and say please

afterwards, be sure to take jaws off very regularly, espically if turning green wood or oak, how to i know....

Quinn,
    If you have the next larger hex wrench, something to try. Cut the short side off wrench so you have a straight hex wrench. Grind a very slight taper on one end. Drive wrench into screw with hammer from other end while holding with locking pliers. You have now made an impact wrench. With wrench firmly seated in screw, simultaneously strike with hammer and apply CCW torque to the pliers. At the third impact the screw will come loose.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quinn,

With screws facing up, soak them with some cutting oil. Let the set for a while.

Buy and use and "Easy Out". It is a device that looks similar to a drill bit BUT it has a reverse thread. You start it into the stripped hex head hole and then put a wrench on it and back them out.

Don't be afraid to judiciously use heat to thermally shock the screws.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Use some anti-seize on screws

No matter which way you use to get the screws out, when you put the new ones back in put a little anti-seize on each screw and you will never have the same problem again. I have a little stick of anti-seize that is in the drawer with all the chuck jaws so I can find it every time I change jaws.

Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I was able to get both of them out. Mostly using Richards mehod. I will make sure to put on some anti seize when the new jaws are put on.

Thanks for your help.

Have a great Christmas.

Quinn

Good tip Jeff. Even for those chucks whose jaws we never change, in case we might want to some day. Gonna add some anti-sieze to my chuck jaw screws tomorrow, if I don't forget.
    Richard in Wimberley

could also get a set of "screw extractors" found a set at lowes ...wouldnt be without them anymore.

Next time if ever, you can drill the head off, take the jaw off and there should be enough screw sticking out to grab it with a pair of vice-grips
    Have fun and take care