Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigid bandsaw, good deal, or not

Rigid bandsaw, good deal, or not

I thought it was. I got a 14" rigid bandsaw with the 6" extention and rigid mobil base for 100.00. As I was leaving the guy said thanks for taking it off his hands. When I got home I noticed wire wrapped around the legs of the top wheel to control vibration. The saw does vibrate some, but thats not really a big deal to me. I mostly wanted it to resaw/mill slightly bigger pieces that my 14" delta's will not do. Do these saws not have a very good reputation? I'm just curious about the saw, not upset. It seemed like a good deal to me.

Thanks

I think that is a great deal. I have one with the same setup I'm trying to sell...and no way I'd sell it that cheap. I think most of the vibration in the saw comes from the motor, if you try a link belt it helps quite a bit.

That BS has a mixed following... there have been many who have complained about the vibration issues. Visit Ridgid's website, there's a lot that has been written about it and what can be done to overcome some frequent problems.

$100 seems a pretty good deal to me...

Andy

I'd say great deal.

The wire wrap is most likely to correct wheel balance, a fairly common issue with bandsaws.

The only way to know is try and tune.

I have one of the older grey models. Out of curiosity, I tried the nickel test, and it passed. Maybe I'm just lucky.

While I wouldn't refuse a free upgrade to say, an MM16, I can't complain about performance for the price.

As long as you're happy with the deal that is all that really matters anyways.

Thanks for the replies folks. I am happy with the deal. I knew it wouldn't replace my 2 14" deltas when I got it but it will come in handy when I need it. It was cheaper that a riser for my other saws.

I pick up bulldozed root balls and most of the time they won't fit on my saws. That 12" will be nice. I've been out of town so maybe I'll get time to play with it soon.

Blog Entries
    Reports are hit and miss but at $100, I'd say you're OK. Most folks with issues find a fix either here or on the Ridgid forums. Tap into the experience of others who went before you and are generous enough to share. The forums have sure helped me dodge some bullets and solve some problems that I thought I had to live with.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I went to the orange place and saw these sell for 369.00 w/o the extention or mobile base. At that price I guess it was a good deal. So far I like it OK. I don't like all the work I have to go through to change the blade but luckily thats not an all the time deal with other saws handy. For those that have this saw without the riser, do you have to unscrew the left blade cover to change the blade also?

Not to bash the rigid, but for anyone looking for a new bandsaw, if I was buying a new saw, the Griz GO555 is a better saw for the money. Better dust collection, better blade guides and a blade tension quick release for about 75.00 more shipped.

But for 100.00....

For $100 I would say it's a good deal. I have the same saw. For what it's worth, I found the source of the vibration on mine to be the top of the stand flexing. I pulled the saw off, added a piece of 3/4 MDF and the vibration is all but gone.

Mike

Very good deal! I got my Rigid 14" for $150 and was very happy with that. Then I added the extension, and built a base, and swapped out the motor with a 1.5 HP, and put Carter guides on it, and put link belts on it, and got a mobile base.

So, yeah, you got a great deal.

That said, the vibration is likely from the belt and the wheel (being out of balance). Search this forum, there are many threads about this BS and balancing the wheels. If you look in my info area, you can find threads that I have posted in and started regarding these things.

Congrats!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Don't worry about the wire. I used binder clips on my Delta. Without the wire parts.

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have this saw and can not find the riser anywhere rigid told me it was discontinuded any ideas where I can get one Thanks for any info
    "Don't Sweat the Petty Things and Don't Pet the Sweaty Things "

Grizzly's fits it.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I heard the Grizzly also fits the Delta 14", but there are 2 models of Griz risers.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I ordered the H3051 and it worked perfectly.
    I drink, therefore I am.