Thread: Need a quick finish

Need a quick finish

Hi All
    I am just about done with a Birdseye maple and Cherry jewelry box for my wife and I need a quick finish for it. I should not rush it and I could give it to her with no finish but would rather not.
    I will be ready to apply tomorrow night (Wednesday) any idea's would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Dave, lacquer is quick
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I would suggest a sprayed on shellac finish. A couple of cans of Zinsser's Spray can shellac will work. Spray on about four coats. Apply the first, let it dry 15-30 minutes lightly sand with 320 paper and apply three more coats. Let each coat dry 30 minutes before spraying the next. Keep your coats thin. Shellac needs to be applied in thin layers.

Zinsser spray can shellac is totally dewaxed so if you later want to put on a more durable finish like varnish or poly varnish, it can be applied right over the shellac.
    Howie.........

If you don't have spray equipment, then I'd just wipe on shellac. Thin it down to 1-1.5# and you can wipe it on easy. Just don't keep re-wiping bkz it tacks up almost instantly. You can apply more coats every 30 mins this way.

If you want something *more durable* after, you can put it right over the shellac.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 12-23-2009 at 1:51 PM.

Thank you all very much, that was just the info I needed,

Merry Christmas to all

Dave Dionne