Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get missing parts from Delta

Get missing parts from Delta

Well, I pulled the trigger on a model 28-276 from Delta. It was the floor model, so I got it for $319(Didnt ask to go lower, since it seemed a fair price.) Not to mention I got a blade for $5 and then the wonderful $30 tax of RI.....

But a few bits are missing: Notably the insert around the blade, and a few knobs that hold the doors shut. I am still waiting to get it off the trailer, since I cannot lift it without atleast 3 people(I really dont want a hernia.) I am going to fashion the insert out of a piece of lexan, and hold the doors by tape, but for a permenant solution my question is: How much would it cost to get the missng parts, if I were to inform Delta that I got it as a floor model(aka I didnt loose them...)

I mean, considering I got it for $1-200 bucks less than some stores, I think it was a decent deal. The table is slightly rusted, and the stand needs a little white paint because of the scratches but.... its acceptable... So if it costs a few bucks to get the parts, then thats acceptable..

Well, in a few it will be time to play with my new toy... and maybe get the project done that I got it for....

-Brendan

Did this really happen....? Are there pics, or other graphic proof that you recieved this deal...? personally, I dunno....

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    Did this really happen....? Are there pics, or other graphic proof that you recieved this deal...? personally, I dunno....
    Ill take a pic as soon as I get it set up...

Delta has a website for parts called service net which will give prices if you have the model number or part number, which you can also get there. You can reach it from their site or call the 1-800 number on the owners manual to discuss the missing parts. Maybe they will replace the missing parts? Generic knobs might be cheaper from McMaster Carr, as delta parts prices tend to be harsh.

Get the saw setup, determine everything that is missing and use the parts diagram to get the part numbers.

If you do not get them for free you might check the exploded views on the Grizzly site, many of the parts are the same for all the 14" Delta clones.

Lexan tends to be brittle and I would probably make my throat plate out of something else, like thin ply.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Get the saw setup, determine everything that is missing and use the parts diagram to get the part numbers.

If you do not get them for free you might check the exploded views on the Grizzly site, many of the parts are the same for all the 14" Delta clones.

Lexan tends to be brittle and I would probably make my throat plate out of something else, like thin ply.
    Unfortunately I do not have any 1/8th inch ply.... but I do have that thickness in lexan... so it will have to do for now... just until I can see if they will ship me the pieces..(hopefully...)

It should be fine to cut out a circle and a staight cut without the pieces, correct? I just really dont want to have the blade snap(I only got one, and I really dont feel like ducking from spinning metal...)

Thanks...

Delta will probably replace the parts for free. I received free replacement parts I needed for a couple of DeWalt planers I picked up that had been demo units. The person I talked to was very friendly and helpful. I've heard of other people getting parts for free for demo units they bought.

Steve

Check to see if you have a Delta Factory Service center near by. The cost will be the same but you'll save on shipping and time.

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/serv...ookieSupport=1

RE: cutting a circle.

How accurate do they need to be?

If you need an accurate circle, a jig like the one below is needed:
    http://woodworking.about.com/od/wood...rcleCutJig.htm
    Do an on-line search for "band saw circle cutting jigs", and you'll find more.

The manual for the saw will also show the minimum dia. circle that can be cut with blades of different sizes.

Cutting straight will depend upon the blade width and how well the saw is adjusted and the tension on the blade. Be prepared to spend some time "tuning" and adjusting the saw, guides, etc., to work properly.

Good Catch Brendan! I can tell you are one serious young tool guy!

Definately contact Delta and tell them you bought the last BS of that model that *Lowe's?* had, and tell them you have a list of missing parts for the brand new bandsaw. It won't cost anything to find out if they will send you the missing parts you need, either under warranty, or as good customer relations! Good Luck!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 04-22-2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Sp. BrendAn, not BrendEn ;-)
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Thanks, I certainly will do....

I bought a demo DW618 3 base kit from HD, DeWalt/PC/whoever cs refused to send me the missing parts (it was missing the power cord and collets)...said they were "too expensive".

Incidentally I picked up the bandsaw in question here for 258 on "clearance" from a local Lowes. They matched another stores 258 because their store was on clearance but not as low. Sure enough a week later, our store was back up to regular price!!! They are still stocking them, they just dont sell em very much I guess. They also havent cut over to the new Porter Cable version yet because they have so many of the Deltas in stock.

Well, they said as a curteousy, they are going to send the missing insert, nut that holds the motor in place, and the door knobs out, and if the guy locates the part # for the blade that was supposed to come with it.... And to call them back if I find anything else missing... It should take 5-7 B.days before I can use it....grrr...

I was wondering if I could use the saw without the insert, the knobs(A friend suggested using a piece of firring strip to hold the door shut), and a nut for the motor(3 are holding it, I just cannot use the belt guard, or it makes a hell of a noise(fine, since I wont stick my fingers in there...)

Patience young man! The waiting should be more tolerable since your parts are FREE!

You can use your saw, as long as you do not try to bandsaw very small parts. The blade insert is really not necessary with larger pieces. Make sure the doors stay shut (for safety's sake!) Use a bit of ducktape to keep them from swinging open. Three bolts will hold the motor securely, as long as they are tight. And, stay away from that motor belt, which should be on the opposite side while you are cutting. Enjoy Brendan!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Delta has arguably the worst customer after-market support of any company I have ever dealt with. I suspect that Delta wants to avoid questions and complaints from customers who faind fault with their products. Out of sight yield out of mind.