Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Happy Grizzly G0490 Jointer Owner

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMorgan of Lititz View Post
    I'll have to put a straight edge across the outfeed table and blades to be sure.

I feel bad I'm thread-jacking here...one other quick question. Is snipe going to be "indented" into the wood, sort of concave, or is it raised or convex? Not sure if that makes sense.

"Indented" into the wood.

Is snipe going to be "indented" into the wood, sort of concave, or is it raised or convex
    Indented. What happens is that the wood "drops" as it comes off the infeed table and the blades take a slightly deeper bite for that last few inches. Either your outfeed table is slightly lower than the top of the cutterhead or you're pushing down on the infeed side of the head and shoving the wood into the head.

What's this I see about upgraded drive pulley and belt?
    I'm hoping the new ones are compatible. I've emailed Grizzly. Unfortunately, the parts purchase form doesn't list the new pulleys/belt yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Holmes View Post
    I'm hoping the new ones are compatible. I've emailed Grizzly. Unfortunately, the parts purchase form doesn't list the new pulleys/belt yet.
    I was lucky mine came with the new design but someone here posted the part numbers and I made an inquiry about cost to Griz before I took delivery of the jointer: (plus someone suggest to get shaft key replacements too)

Thank you for your email dated December 8, 2009.

We appreciate your interest in upgrading your G0490 8” Jointer to the flat drive belt. The parts listed are the only parts that should be required. I have provided pricing below with ordering and shipping information. This will bring your G0490 up-to-date with the 2010 model. While using the original equipment is acceptable, the new equipment does not drastically change the performance of the machine. If you needed to replace one pulley or the other later down the road, you would most likely be required to upgrade your machine at that time.

Quantity Item Number DescriptionPrice (each)
    1 P0490070V2 Cutterhead Pulley $8.00
    1 P0490225V2 Motor Pulley $9.75
    1 P0490224V2 Flat Belt $11.00

Items under 70 lbs. are assessed a shipping and handling fee based on the total dollar amount of the items.

Shipping and Handling Charges
    (Items under 70 lbs. and not oversized)
    Order TotalShipping
    $0.01 to $24.99add $7.70*
    $25.00 to $49.99add $9.70*
    $50.00 to $74.99add $11.70*
    $75.00 to $99.99add $13.70*
    $100.00 to $199.99add $16.70*
    $200.00 to $399.99add $18.70*
    $400.00 and upadd $20.70*
    *Includes a $0.75 fuel surcharge. Standard shipping to AK and HI is USPS Parcel Post. Additional charges may apply.

I think I may have been the one who originally attempted this conversion. Things got busy and I was never able to post my findings so I'll give you what I found.

First off you will have to modify the slot in the stand to use the new belt. I think I made mine wider by a 1/2". On mine the pulley for the motor was more sloppy on the motor shaft than the one that came on the jointer and kept coming loose. Lastly I had trouble tensioning the belt, it just always seemed to loose.

I by all means am not telling you to try or not try this upgrade. You may have a much better experience than I did. For me, I didn't see any improvement over the regular V belt. In fact mine might have been a little worse. I played with it for about 5 hours and finally just went back to the original pulleys and got a better V belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hathcoat View Post
    I think I may have been the one who originally attempted this conversion. Things got busy and I was never able to post my findings so I'll give you what I found.

First off you will have to modify the slot in the stand to use the new belt. I think I made mine wider by a 1/2". On mine the pulley for the motor was more sloppy on the motor shaft than the one that came on the jointer and kept coming loose. Lastly I had trouble tensioning the belt, it just always seemed to loose.

I by all means am not telling you to try or not try this upgrade. You may have a much better experience than I did. For me, I didn't see any improvement over the regular V belt. In fact mine might have been a little worse. I played with it for about 5 hours and finally just went back to the original pulleys and got a better V belt.
    Thanks for that information - very good to know! That all being said, I think I will just buy a link belt at some point. I too had a loose pulley. I never checked it to begin with from new, as I didn't know to. But over time the pulley key eventually came out.

I used to experience a lot of start-up/shut-down "studdering", but now that I've really tightened things on properly it has mostly eliminated that. There is still a bit of "studdering" sound that you hear but I think that is just at that natural point where things are out of balance. Once its up and running, its pretty smooth and vibration free.

Blog Entries
    Bringing up an old thread, but I just got my G0490X and was wondering if had the "improved" 2010 model or not. Mine has a manufacturing date of 2009-05. Does anyone have pics of what a pre- vs post-improvement looks like?
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    Bringing up an old thread, but I just got my G0490X and was wondering if had the "improved" 2010 model or not. Mine has a manufacturing date of 2009-05. Does anyone have pics of what a pre- vs post-improvement looks like?
    Randy - my G0490 had a Sept '09 date and it came with the upgraded serpentine style belt. You can see the pulley in the pic below. Plus I don't exactly remember but the dust port area in the lower cabinet was redesigned.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Thanks, my dust chute and pulley look like that, so I guess I'm in the 2010 model club...

But what is a serpentine belt anyways? Is it the ridges that make it so?
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Randy,

I believe you are correct.

I first heard the term serpentine belt when those type of drive belts showed up in cars and basically one belt drove everything. It twisted around, down, up and over. I think that's where it got it's name.

The V-belt on the other hand got it's name from it's cross-sectional shape.

This is purely unverified supposition on my part.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Randy,

I first heard the term serpentine belt when those type of drive belts showed up in cars and basically one belt drove everything. It twisted around, down, up and over. I think that's where it got it's name.

You are absoultely correct Ken, serpentine in this case is a misnomer, it is correctly called a Poly V belt, from the multiple small Vs in the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Randy,

You are absolutely correct about the car being the source of the name, Ken, serpentine in this case is a misnomer, it is correctly called a Poly V belt, from the multiple small Vs in the belt.

Blog Entries
    I checked with Grizzly support and this is what they say:

The upgrade to the pulley and belt occurred in models that were manufactured on or after February 3, 2009.
    So I guess I'm definitely there. Good to know at least.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Also With the Pulley Problems

Can anyone tell me if there is a permanent fix for the "loosening pulley problem" on the G0490X? After reading the threads here on SMC, it appears that I am not the only one to experience this problem. I've tried everything... locktite, and a different style of locking set screw. Insured the pulleys are coplaner and the tension is correct on the belt. Still the pulley works its self loose. HELP!
    Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, but the pig likes it!

What if I have the white version, can I join the club?

The only vibration I have on mine is after I hit the off switch and the belt slaps the belt cover slightly. Not much adjustment on the cover though.