Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Happy Grizzly G0490 Jointer Owner

Quote Originally Posted by mike thomas01 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if there is a permanent fix for the "loosening pulley problem" on the G0490X? After reading the threads here on SMC, it appears that I am not the only one to experience this problem. I've tried everything... locktite, and a different style of locking set screw. Insured the pulleys are coplaner and the tension is correct on the belt. Still the pulley works its self loose. HELP!
    Mike,

I am in the process of assembling and adjusting my G0490X.

However, pulleys and sets screws are not magic. If I have any problems with one loosening up, the first thing I'll try is Locktite. If the set screw loosens up again, I'll take the old one to a hardware store and get a couple extras. I will then screw one in to make contact with the shaft and a 2nd one on top of the first one to prevent the first one from backing out and loosening up.

Which set screw is loosening up on your jointer?

Have you contacted Grizzly support for an answer to your question?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi Ken,
    Its the pulley on the motor that loosens up on me. I did locktite it but that didn't seem to help. I haven't tried "stacking" the set screws but I'm not sure if I can find screws that are short enough to place 2 in the one spot. I'll work on it though.
    I did contact Grizzly and they suggested the same thing you did. Since its still under warranty.... I'm being careful not to modify it too much. I'll be back in contact with them shortly since I've completed nearly all of their suggestions. I did notice that the set screw holes for the motor pulley are not drilled at 90 degrees. Place an allen wrench into either of them and it leans seriously towards the user. Not sure if thats a concern or if it prevents locking of the pulley to the motor shaft.
    I do have to mention however, that when this jointer is working..it kicks butt! I love it!
    Thanks for your interest and any possible help.
    Last edited by mike thomas01; 09-07-2010 at 2:49 AM.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, but the pig likes it!