Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donut chuck - I was gonna wait, but......

Donut chuck - I was gonna wait, but......

A case of - "it ain't big 'nuf, but it ain't small 'nuf either!"

For my second bowl attempt I wanted to try a more rounded shape (to see if I could undercut a bit without blowing it up), and do then do a lid (curly maple) with a finial (ebonized walnut.)

So, I did the bowl, and didn't destroy it (it was iffy a couple of times!) -
    1.jpg3.jpg
    Then, I removed it and put my Cole jaws on the chuck, and did a quick measurement to set the bumpers - UH OH!!! The jaws won't go that small in expansion mode, and I can't grip this thing in contraction mode because of the shape!!
    2.jpg
    Well, I will just expand the 50mm jaws with some padding - NOPE!! Won't go that big!!

Right about here is where I realize that experience means everything!! One of you seasoned turners would have made this thing to fit your chuck rather than trying to make the chuck fit the piece.

Well, Sean Hughto, thanks for the recent pics!! I guess this bowl won't get finished until after Christmas, but at least I will own a donut chuck a little earlier than planned!

John,

Keep in mind, when you make your donut chuck. You can make several different donuts with different size holes to capture different size objects.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

John you can always do a jamb chuck as well. That is what I use 98% of the time.

Alan

John, assuming you have a bandsaw or jig saw, it will take you longer to go to the store and get the bolts and other sundries you might need, than to actually make the thing. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    John,

Keep in mind, when you make your donut chuck. You can make several different donuts with different size holes to capture different size objects.
    Good plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    John you can always do a jamb chuck as well. That is what I use 98% of the time.

Alan
    Alan, I am not sure I know what you are talking about? Do I have to use the tailstock with it? I really want to access the entire bottom, as I planned to use the medallion in the bottom of all the bowls.

Sean, I may email you and see if you can send me a few pics of yours if you don't mind?!?

I don't mind at all. I can post a detailed description of what I did with some pics of the finished product from a couple angles right here in this thread. That way, if more advanced types want to chime in with advice that I don't know, we can all benefit. Sound good?

Donut Chuck

Sean;

Sounds great - go for it - don't keep us waiting.

John I have a smaller donut chuck that will take from a 4" bowl to 9" and then a larger one that will take from 6" to 16" bowl. Each inch has it's own donut. So the small one has 6 rings and the big one has 11 rings.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Go here:
    http://www.woodturninglearn.net/

and scroll down to the 9th article called "Straka Chuck". It will download a wonderful how to article by Alan Lacer on how to make one. Lots of photos and tips. Great article.

John, I'm in the process of making one based on the Alan Lacer article. We seem to be in parallel universes here.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Donut

I made the donut chuck to go on my cole jaws. That seems to be the best of both.

At the bottom of the page here are some more pictures of the setup.
    http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/...theColeJaw.htm
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

A donut chuck and a tool rack are on my list of things to make next week. Thanks for sharing the links to the various articles.

John, yes you do have to use the tailstock but it is still possible to cut for the medallion if you take it nice and easy. The nub left will have to be taken off with a sharp chisel or other means, but still possible.

Good Luck

Alan

Ah, just go ahead and build a vacuum system....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    I don't mind at all. I can post a detailed description of what I did with some pics of the finished product from a couple angles right here in this thread. That way, if more advanced types want to chime in with advice that I don't know, we can all benefit. Sound good?
    Sounds great, Sean!!

Anyone else that wants to chime in with some ideas - sounds like it is a popular topic, and at least Greg and I are ready to start one.

And, thanks for the other links, too! The more ideas, the better.