Thread: Nova or NOVA?

Nova or NOVA?

I was looking for a decent chuck for my lathe(HF 34706). I am leaning towards the Nova(NOVA) Midi but I'm not sure why I'm seeing different listings for it on WC's site. I can't see any differences that would amount to anything except one is a Nova and the other is a NOVA. If I'm overlooking something please point it out. If one is a knockoff, which is it. I want to get the one that is on sale for a couple more days.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Category/1002089/Chucks.aspx
    Bo

How much money and/or time did "The Creek" save you today. I'll bet it was more than the cost of becoming a contributor.

Kenneth, I got the Nova Precision Midi, with TWO SETS OF JAWS, 50mm and 25mm. Was $79.99, less $10.00 plus free shipping.

This I think a special promotion at Woodcraft, an excellent value IME. The $10 off may have been discontinued, but free shipping and 79.99 still applies thru Dec 31 I think.
    Their site tells all. HTH.

Art.

The Nova Precision Midi is on sale through the 24th (tomorrow) and comes with two sets of jaws. A coupon for $10 off came with the monthly flyer and on the website you can get free shipping as stated. I couldn't pass it up and bought my 5th midi. I bought mine at the closest store but did order two more for the club lathes as did a few other club members when they heard of this sale.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Blasic; 12-23-2009 at 8:42 AM.

Super Nova II is $139 on sale and can be upgraded if you get a bigger lathe. If I remember right the midi only comes in 1 X 8.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The Midi is only 1-8 TPI. It is a good chuck, but it's the Tommy bars, so that is a PITA every once in a while. It's a compact chuck, not as wide as the G3. Good for mini lathes. The G3 is a keyed chuck, 1 hand operation. There's a guy on e-bay that sells it for 125 shipped. Also the Supernova2 is on sale as mentioned. I have the 3 sizes. They are all good quality chucks. NOT as good as a Oneway, but they are out of my hobby budget.

The major benefit on the Novas is all the jaws except for the Titan interchange, so you don't need to buy jaws for all the different sized chucks. If you didn't already know.

I'm unsure on your question of Nova and NOVA. I personally have not seen or heard of a knockoff.

I just got my G3 from the guy on ebay. Comes with the 50mm jaws, and the spindle adapter/insert. I started to get the SN2 at Woodcraft, but the adapter is another $23, and then sales tax, and I was at $172. For the difference in the two, the G3 seems adequate for what I want to do, Bo. And, since we have the same lathe, you may want to think about that deal.

Thanks to this chain and to Bernie I just purchased mine! Just a tip. If you order a $75 Gift card in Woodcraft they give you a free knife. I did it and apply it to my chuck!!!! So I got the chuck in discount, free shipping and a $20 knife for free!!!! Sounds like a good deal until my wife finds out about the spending.....!!!!!

They shipped to Cost Rica for free?

Not all the way down. Just until my forwarder in Miami...... Can't have it all I guess....

I looked at the G3, but I don't see a bigger lathe in my near future. I figure I will not be using my lathe at it's limits either. The Nova Midi is right in the area I think I'll be working. You never know, I might end up with the G3. I'm not quite ready to buy, still weighing my options.

When I said Nova or NOVA I was referring to the differences on Woodcraft's site.
    The Nova comes with 2 jaws sets, only comes in 1x8 and normally sells for $99.99.
    The NOVA comes with 1 jaw set, comes in 1x8 or 3/4x16, and sells for $114.99 and $109.99 respectfully.
    The way they have it set up is strange. I was just wondering if there is a difference between them. I was planning on getting the one that is $99.99 with 2 jaw sets if there isn't a reason not to.
    Last edited by Kenneth Whiting; 12-23-2009 at 9:31 PM. Reason: deleting links
    Bo

How much money and/or time did "The Creek" save you today. I'll bet it was more than the cost of becoming a contributor.