Thread: USMC Saber Display Case

USMC Saber Display Case

This is a joint project with a good friend of mine. He designed the case and I helped him build it. I am trying to get more pics, it was a Christmas gift for a third friend who's a vet.

Solid walnut box (with grain wrapped around the botto corners). The back is 1/2 ply with a walnut veneer. It was my friend's idea to mount the saber using plexi- creates a nice see through effect. I'm hoping from a distance, the saber will just look suspended in the air.

Hopefully more pics once the case is mounted at their house.

Where did I put that?

Just outstanding

Rob, the display case is outstanding. I like the use of the Plexiglas to mount the saber. What finish did you use. The walnut really enhances the flag and saber. The American Flag sets the whole thing off.

Great job, Sam

I can't take any credit for the design. My friend Barry came up with the idea and design, I just helped make the woodworking part of it possible.

I agree, the flag adds so much pop to it, it really makes the handle jump out. We debated having in drape into the box across the bottom but it got complicated.

The flag is actually folded around a piece of 1/8" plywood and then pressed into place on the back.

The finish is one coat of BLO and then several coats of satin lacquer. The glass in front is non-glare 1/8" glass and then 1/4 plexi holding the saber. The plexi was epoxied to the top of the box, which is removable (see the black knobs on top. We went back and forth on the best way to get in and out of the box, and we decided the lift up method would be simple, easy, and allows the plexi to be placed over the flag without cutting the flag up and putting it through the flag. We didn't want to cut up the flag for obvious reasons.
    Where did I put that?

Excellent design.. excellent execution.. excellent cause to build!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

That's a really beautiful display!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rob, absolutely a striking display!! The walnut was a great choice, and the design, with the plexiglass suspension of the saber, really makes a great presentation. Excellent job!!

Great job Rob. I really like the way you did the flag.

Rob, as an ex-marine myself, I say bravo on the case - very nice work. Is that an approved way to display the flag, however? - had to ask.

Semper Fi!

Very nice display case.

Mike, I don't believe there are any established guidelines to displaying the U.S. Flag when it is in a display case. There are guidelines for displaying the flag indoors, but those, if read strictly, would prohibit the display of the flag in the more traditional folded triangular cases too.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

My friend who designed the case is retired Navy. The recipient is retired Marines. Neither one of them balked for a second at the flag, in fact, the main comment was how much it added to the piece.

The flag is being displayed in a respectful fashion, to me at least.
    Where did I put that?