Thread: Did I waist money on this top/bottom bearing pattern bit

Did I waist money on this top/bottom bearing pattern bit

Here is my new 3/4" top and bottom bearing pattern bit. 2" cutting length.

From infinity. cost about $45 with shipping.

The top bearing just slides on and a collar holds it in place.

I feel a little ripped off.

All I had to do was buy a bearing and collar for my 3/4" or 1" straight bit and I would have had a pattern bit?

Is that right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep. That's right. That's all the top bearing bits are.

FWIW, I called MLCS the other day looking for a 1 1/4" dish carving bit with the bearing. They said the largest they have is 1 1/8" with the bearing. I said I see the the 1 1/4" without the bearing, don't you have it with as well. No they replied. Later I was perusing the rest of their site and found replacement bearings. So I called back and asked if the 1 1/4"OD bearing would fit the 1 1/4" dish carving bit. "Why yes it does sir". Total cost $36.95. "No thank you. My local seller has it for that price."

I have found T&B bearing bits handy. When using a template and coming to the wrong way on the grain, I can flip the job over and use the other bearing to finish it. No tearout.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Ripped off? Not sure I'd agree. Their basic 3/4" X 2" down shear flush trim bit is $30, so you paid $5 more for a bearing kit, and shipping is shipping. Strange thing is I have been getting free shipping emails from them for months.

In any event I have been happy with their products, that strikes me as a fair price for that size of bit from a quality manufacturer, and $5 for a bearing kit is a better deal than I have gotten from either Freud or Amana both of whom I have needed to purchase individual bearing replacements from.

I'm wondering if you have spun the bit and how you find its performance? I haven't tried any pattern bits from them but have considered them next time the need arises.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Ripped off? Not sure I'd agree. Their basic 3/4" X 2" down shear flush trim bit is $30, so you paid $5 more for a bearing kit, and shipping is shipping. Strange thing is I have been getting free shipping emails from them for months.

In any event I have been happy with their products, that strikes me as a fair price for that size of bit from a quality manufacturer, and $5 for a bearing kit is a better deal than I have gotten from either Freud or Amana both of whom I have needed to purchase individual bearing replacements from.

I'm wondering if you have spun the bit and how you find its performance? I haven't tried any pattern bits from them but have considered them next time the need arises.
    I agree with you but my point was I didn't really need to order the bit. I guess I should have said " did I rip myself off?" because that is what I actually did. I could have jus got a bearing. As far as getting a 2" shear angle bit I guess I'm happy but I didn't actually 'NEED' the 2" bit. I figured if I was getting one pattern bit I might as well get it 2" in length.

I have not used it yet. I'll give a full report when I do.

I see your point Keith. Just buy the bearing for a few bucks and put it on a flush trim you had or on a new smaller flush trim for less money? You may have ripped your self off. I would demand a refund from your self!

I wonder if you could exchange the bit for one of a more useful size and a bearing? With shipping you might not get ahead.

Blog Entries
    I have flush bits with bearings at the tip that are cut in such a way that a shaft bearing would not seat correctly so they are not all usable that way. I have other profiles that will not accept a shaft bearing as well. Others I have (both straight and varies in profile) do accept a shaft bearing.

I have quite an array of bearings and collars and they do enhance my existing bits on many occasions. I wouldn't see this as a goof; just a step toward a more varied collection of goodies in your router bit arsenal.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Caveat emptor

Keith, I hear you, but it is not the seller's job to know what you want/need. It's their job to sell stuff.
    BTW I've got a bunch of stuff I thoght I needed . Yer not the first!

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I have found T&B bearing bits handy. When using a template and coming to the wrong way on the grain, I can flip the job over and use the other bearing to finish it. No tearout.

I have a Whiteside one I use a lot, too.

Occasionally, a pattern bit is too short to reach full depth so one fix is to keep dropping the bearing down onto freshly cut faces until the job is completed.

"All I had to do was buy a bearing and collar for my 3/4" or 1" straight bit and I would have had a pattern bit?"

"Yep. That's right. That's all the top bearing bits are."

?? I have lots of straight bits but there are cutting edges at the end and no way to attach a bearing.

If there was, it would already be a pattern bit.

I don't think that you ripped yourself off. Had you just purchased a collar bearing you would have a top bearing bit only. Now, you have a top and bottom bearing bit. They're handy to have around, as others have pointed out.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Katz View Post
    "All I had to do was buy a bearing and collar for my 3/4" or 1" straight bit and I would have had a pattern bit?"

"Yep. That's right. That's all the top bearing bits are."

?? I have lots of straight bits but there are cutting edges at the end and no way to attach a bearing.

If there was, it would already be a pattern bit.

The bearing and collar they are talking about is the one the slips onto the shank of the bit, not the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oops, I see, thanks.