Thread: Stencil Positive/Negative/Unweeded

Stencil Positive/Negative/Unweeded

Hi All,

Merry Christmas to you all.

My question to all the experts out there:

How do you create various forms of a stencil pattern using Photoshop, Corel Draw or any other easier to use software.

I have attached examples of three images of what I want to achieve.

Many Thanks

Sorry I forgot to post these in my earlier post

Please refer to these three pictures of an idea of what i want to achieve.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zahia salhi; 12-24-2009 at 6:49 PM. Reason: pictures would'nt attach

I use corel draw's three point curve tool to manually trace it, not the fastest, but gives excellent results.

Corel also has automatic tracing tools that you may try.
    George

Here is a quick Corel X4 trace of your 2nd picture. No cleanup. Took <10seconds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Noell; 12-24-2009 at 9:09 PM.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Some more Details

Thanks guys,

But, Can someone be kind enough to post step by step instructions on how to achieve the three types of cuts using corel/photoshop from a single image pattern.

Many Thanks.

That's asking for a lot. It's many steps involved and would take someone a fair amount of time to document it all. It's easy to do, but it's many steps. If you have patterns like this and need what you need, there are services that can do it for very reasonable prices. My guess is you can have all 3 of those examples done for about $20.

Google Vector Doctor and you'll have one guy I know of that does great work, really cheap. He's a pro at it, so what takes us 1 hour to do, he does in minutes. Might be worth a look.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

It is not really complicated if you are using vinyl for a stencil. You do one drawing of it and just wead it for the look you want. If you are doing it for the laser it is the same thing, Make one trace of it and just change the fill colors to get the look you want.
    Most of that particular patern is just a repeating patern, Trace part of it then duplicate as many times as needed and then flip them to get them the direction you want. You could get that pattern by tracing only 1/4 of it. It is a 5 minute trace if it is done by hand. Go to your Corel draw help manual and look up tracing. Also there are some very good tutorials on utube.
    Last edited by James Stokes; 12-26-2009 at 12:30 PM.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    Here is a quick Corel X4 trace of your 2nd picture. No cleanup. Took <10seconds.

Nice trace, will have to give corel auto tracing a second look. But most of my originals are not that clean, so the auto trace feature does not work that well.
    George

Here is a link to the best tutorial I have seen on hand tracing with the CorelDRAW bezier tool. I use this for all my CNC work where I have to recreate shapes from a photograph.

http://macromonster.com/index.php?mod=descr&id_desc=5&

-James
    Liberty CNC / Sherline / Mach3 / SheetCAM / CorelDraw V12, X3 and X4 / EZ Smart System / DragonCNC / DXFTool

Vector Magic does a great job of vectoring bmp jpg and now pdf. If your doing it on a regular basis it might be worth getting I know its saved me hrs of cleaning customers images.

browsing thru here today and caught this post and thought I would give it a try. I tried the trace in Corel, but it was not too good even after trying to clean up the image.

Then I brought it into Aspire and it took only a minute or so. Aspire made a difficult task 'child easy'...plus, for the fun of it, I brought it to life with some 3D and exported the model as a grayscale...now it can be lasered too.

I've attached the results for you to see (saved as X3 format)

too much fun here....back to work now.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.