Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SCMS for x-mas

New SCMS for x-mas

OK. Love of my life bought me a new saw for Christmas. I was really looking for the Hatachi but a Makita LS1016L showed up under the tree. Wife is way too cool to be upset if I want to return it for the Hatachi so that is not an issue. What are your guys toughts on the Makita vs the Hatachi?

Why would you want to give up the Makita for the Hitachi?

Hitachi is good, but you got the better saw, IMHO.

Blog Entries
    I'm curious as well. Color preference? The Makita tests very well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Why Hatachi vs Makita?

General rul of consensous tha I knew was for framing the best saw used to be Dewault's 12 in and for framing the Hatachi. Everything I read about this Makita is good. Merely looking for opinions. Right now I leaning toward keeping the Makita but I'm still interested on other opinions.

Smile Fine Woodworking January/February 2010

You might want to read the small write up in FWW . . . Not a review, but good points . . .

I have the new Makita LS1016L new in the box . . . Not setup yet . . .

I had second thoughts for a short time. After reading, reading and then actually using one . . . I can say it is a KEEPER ! ! !

The foot print is smaller & it feels really solid . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Your wife bought you a very nice present. Unless you are truly set on something else, it will go a very long way in the marriage points category to use and appreciate this very nice CMS. After all, it is not something from Harbor Freight (or worse), so she apparently took the time to find out what should be a very good tool and took the chance to buy it for you. Go out, cut some boards, come back in the house and rave about the great saw. You will be giving back a gift to your marriage that is priceless.

I haven't had the opportunity to look at the 1016, but wanted the 1013 very badly. I ended up with the Hitachi 10" slider, and it is a very nice saw, but I would have traded for the Makita at the time and pitched in another 100.00. Slightly bigger motor (15 amp vs 13 amp on the Hitachi), an better blade from the manufacturer (the Hitachi blade is geared to rough cuts and framing), and a much larger base. But I'm fine with my Hitachi. Wouldn't trade now because of all the work making a custom mobile base for it to dock into the multifunction cabinets. Wouldn't want to start all over on it. I'd say go look at the Hitachi, then make up your own mind. If the 1016 is basically the same saw as the 1013 was, I'd personally stay with it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

What he said. Don't nit pick a great gift.

I've been using the last generation of Makita 10" SCMS for a few years now and its a great saw. I looked at the makita site when the 1016 released, and it looks like they improved on every minor complaint I might have had with the 1013 but kept all its best features. I'm figuring on replacing my old one in the next 6 months and am pretty much sold on the 1016. It looks like direct competition for the Kapex to my eyes at half the price. Not sure how it compares to the Hitachi? I used an older hitachi on a friend's job site, and it was pretty much an underpowered boat anchor IMO, but that may have been a matter of age or condition or blade or all three.

The Makita's generally get good reviews (check your library to see if there is a current one). Do you know where she bought it? The only reason(s), I could see to swap, would be to get the larger Hitachi from Costco with either a better blade (or your old blades if you had/have a 12"), or use the price difference (If Makita is from HD) to buy your wife something nice.

Otherwise, keep it and find out what project she is hinting for.

I think your wife got you the best saw made.

Thanks

Hey guys, Thanks for the feed back. Mrs. Wacker is the coolest woman on the planet. If you don't believe it just ask me. Woodworking is a hobby for me, not a profession. Many friends are in the construction business and the rule of thumb has always been; if you frame, buy a 12" Dewalt, if you finish buy a 10" Hatachi. Period end of discussion. Having never been one to ALWAYS go with the flow, I think I'll tweak all my buddy's tails and keep the Makita, and also let Mrs. Wack know how smart she was to find a better mouse trap.

Now it's time to figure out what kind of stand/station I want to build under it.

Mike,

Looks like your wife is in agreement with the staff at Popular Woodworking, in the current issue it is rated as one of the 12 Best New Tools of 2009, I'll trade you my 12" Dewalt.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Thanks for the offer Heather. Dewalt is a great tool. I have had the oppourtunity to reduce the length of a bunch of construction material with one. But I think I'll keep the Makita, lol. While telling Mrs. Wacker how smart (lucky) she is.