Thread: DVD & Monitor In The Shop?

Smile DVD & Monitor In The Shop?

Looking for suggestions . . . I have purchased a number of How To DVDs on an array of woodworking topics. Unlike a book that you can take to the shop and refer to as you progress through a learning curve, I find myself watching a DVD over & over in the house to the point of boredom.

What do you guys do. Do you have a small compact DVD player with a 5" screen, a DVD player and a monitor or do most of you just have a better memory than I do?

Any suggestions on methods or equipment that works would be appreciated . . I'm thinking DVD, monitor & dust won't work well together.

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

I do not view DVD's in my dusty workshop but I do have a TV and Cable box. I just keep the cable box in a clear plastic bag to protect it from all the dust. I imagine a DVD player could be set up this way also.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I have a 13" tv connected to cable in my garage/shop. I have not used the DVD since I got it a couple of years ago. I made a plywood box to hang it on the wall. The sides of the box have furnace filters in them to allow the heat to escape and keep the dust out. The front has a plexiglass sheet that slides in a dado that allows me to get at the DVD player if need be.

I have one in the next room over. Pretty convenient IMO.

I have a flat screen TV with a DVD hooked up to it. Both the TV and DVD player collect dust but neither seem to be bothered by it. Every so often I use compreesed air to blow the dust out.

It's very convenient to have the TV/DVD so close to my workbench. When using the DVD to learn a new skill or technique I can start/stop/pause it as needed.

-- Phil

6. Notebook computers are very cheap these days. I keep a notebook, small amp, and speakers in the shop for internet radio, etc. All recent notebooks play DVD's. I just keep the lid closed to keep the dust out.

I am also a laptop user. When done I put it in a plastic bag and back in a drawer. It is old but keeps on t icking.

John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Quote Originally Posted by Steven DeMars View Post

Any suggestions on methods or equipment that works would be appreciated . . I'm thinking DVD, monitor & dust won't work well together.

Steve
    Out of necessity I have PC and LCD monitor in my shop to run control software for my CNC router.

Perhaps build a wall cabinet for a cheap LCD that you can close up when not using it and keep a DVD player in another cabinet if your concerned about the dust.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Not one for tv in the shop (prefer no distractions), but with today's tech and prices, old corner tube tv's, and inexpensive dvd players are an option. So are notebooks/netbooks/old pc's with dvd's sitting on the hard drive (watch from any pc on the network). I am looking at the possibility of a couple of Atom (low power, low heat) pc's for network supplying (not high demand) and typical user use (email, websites like this, word processing, mild entertainment).

My only recommendation, if you put it in the shop, build a cabinet to keep the dust out, and to shut it off, so no distractions when working around spinning blades/lathes/etc.

Desktop PC in a base cabinet, 17" Planar touchscreen monitor, internet access. This arrangement allows for internet radio, web surfing, watching DVD, and buying lots of stuff thru Amazon. Hard to get much work done with so many distractions.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

I have an old laptop that I keep in a drawer. I use it for my Tormek videos as I can never remember how to use set it up properly.

I got a 28 inch LCD monitor and turned the swivel base upside down to hang from the ceiling. I don't have any WW DVDs--it's primarily to watch football and baseball. There is an HDMI cable that that runs through the floor into my study upstairs. I can hook it up to my directv box or to my PC if I want to watch a dvd.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zach England; 12-26-2009 at 12:51 PM.

i have an old cabinet with my stereo equipment, with a dish box on top (got too hot inside) and an old 25" tv. most of the time it is on margaritaville, but do turn games on now and then.

my office is in open space, but raised 8' off the floor (14' eaves with a 20' center) that has my pc/printer/etc. have some dust but not too much and hasn't seem to bother either the tv setup or the pc.

dust collection is portable oneida for most of my tools and the ones without dust collection get rolled to the garage door so most of the dust goes outside (and afterwards with the help of a blower).

I have a TV in the computer room, and one in the shop. Cable in between. I tune what channel or whatever I want to watch downstairs, and it shows up in the shop.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I don't watch any DVDs in the shop, but I do have an old PC and monitor out there to run my shop webcam. I haven't taken any special precautions regarding dust, and they haven't been bothered by it in the couple years they've been out there.