Thread: Quick Sander Question

Quick Sander Question

I just got into woodworking... at least the finer furniture building type. I have a 10" jointer planer and a variety of saws and a biscuit joiner. I'm getting more into it all the time and have built a few things, such as a fairly large bench (finished), and a small box/step. The problem I have is that the only sander I own is a regular full size sheet sander that was about 10 yrs old. It died. So for the last project I was down to hand sanding. I'm on a limited budget and would like to know, from people who know, what type of sander would get me the most bang for my buck, as I can only afford one new one right now. I mainly just need something for finish sanding and to clean up any panels after joining (when I didn't do a good enough job on the planer/jointer). I thought about a belt sander but have never owned one and didn't know if that would be good enough for the finish work.

Blog Entries
    PC and Bosch both make very good Random orbit sanders. A ROS will do pretty much everything you need with regard to sanding, depending upon what grit paper you put on it. I have a PC with adhesive discs. From what I've heard the velcro is cool but wears out rather quickly and has to be replaced. My ROS is about 10 years old and still has the original pad..
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hi Sam, welcome to the Creek.

I agree with Lee about the ROS. I have a Dewalt. This my second Dewalt, not sure I would buy it again. I think the ROS should be the first sander. The velcro is the only kind I have had.

A belt sander is good to have. However, it is not good for finish work. It is good for quick and/or heavy removal. Maybe your second one...

Sam
    Last edited by Sam Layton; 12-25-2009 at 10:11 PM.

I would suggest a ROS too, and would highly recommend the 5" Bosch.

I would also suggest Klingspor ROS along with the Bosch. I believe the Klingspor is made by Bosch, and they go on sale for around $40 or so regularly.

5" Bosch or Makita random orbit sander.. Both under $100.00 ..

Buy good quality paper.. Klingspor, Sai or Norton..

Blog Entries
    This is a re-badged Bosch 1295EVS (my favorite ROS) at a great price.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have an older Bosch and recenty bought a Porter Cable for about 90.00 and the newer technology provides better dust collection and as good if not slightly better results than the Bosch that I paid about 150-160 years ago. I'd look at these two brands and buy which ever feeels the best in your hands. Both are 5" velcro and that seems to be the most popular size when buying discs.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

Either a Porter Cable 333 or the Bosh random orbit sander. Whatever you get, make sure it uses Hook & Loop sandpaper.
    Larry, AKA Uncle Fester