Thread: Best bits for impact driver?

Best bits for impact driver?

Are there any bits better for impact drivers or is it just hype for higher prices? DeWalt advertises Impact Ready and Bosch has Ti. Thx

I have used 2 different Bosch, DeWalt and tried just about everyone I have come across. Until I bought Irwin. They work the best for me. They have the best fit, good price and they hold up pretty good too!

Alot depends on how much power you're putting to the bits, like is the tool 18 volt and slamming, or a much smaller 10.8 unit. Second, do you release your trigger right when you need to as the fastener gets tight or driven to where it needs to. Or is the poor fastener being killed by a fool who doesn't know what they're doing?. My take on this is that many 'plain' driver bits do just fine for the new cordless impacts if you're not using them too often and don''t ride your tools trigger too much right at the end of a driving cycle.
    I've used the Irwin bits and like them. I own a few of the new Dewalts as well, but what I have for both home and work is a fairly large set from Matco Tools, mainly because the bits come with a lifetime warranty if anything goes wrong with them. My tool guy can't warranty the Irwins that he also sells alongside them for the same lifetime back-up. This way I have no worries with 2 sets, same warranty for either home or work usage everyday. The kit comes with a huge assortment of short, medium and long bits, adapters for socket usage and 2 chuck extenders, one short and one long. I know, Matco Tool trucks/dealers aren't around just everywhere, but I believe you can now order from them on-line like with Snap-on.
    '

I bought a pack of Dewalt phillips and they seem decent. My McFeelys and Lee Valley square drive bits have proven to be durable long term. I don't recall breaking a McFeelys bit and I just broke the first Lee Valley bit after several years.

However, I'm less than thrilled with the Lee Valley bits because they have such a thick paint coating on them, they won't fit any of my 1/4" hex chucks. It can be removed, but its a pain and unless they've fixed the issue, I wouldn't buy them again. I should have contacted them about it but never did and have had them way too long to complain now.

I am really fond of the Kreg bits.. They only come in #2 square drive, 3" or 6" long, but I only really use Robertson screws..

I like that they are magnetic.. and they hold up really well.. I have only used them in the 10V Bosch Impactor..

Wiha, various grades available.
    J Load

I've been using the DeWalt bits for a while and I have no complaints with them.

I have been using the DeWalt impact specific bits for a while, they are great. The 1/4" socket adapter that comes with the set comes in very handy, along with the swivel adapter for the bits...

Quote Originally Posted by rick carpenter View Post
    Are there any bits better for impact drivers or is it just hype for higher prices? DeWalt advertises Impact Ready and Bosch has Ti. Thx
    In a word - APEX.
    These are the only suitable bits I have found for impact drivers. For all others, the steel is too soft, twists and separates. The APEX bits are hardened and I haven't broken one yet.

McFeely's carries a limited number of APEX bits but there are other sources who carry the entire line. I won't buy anything else.
    Steve

I use Dewalt Impact bits. I get rather annoyed using the normal bits in my 18V Ridgid Impact. It gets expensive snapping the 6" phillips tips off...

+1 for Irwin. They make a forged bit. different from there generic bits. i believe they have a blue paint stripe on them. menards sells them

I personally don't like the DeWalt bits. To pointy. As for the Irwins, I can go 2-3 weeks of everyday usage before they need to be replaced.

Impact specific bits sounds like a waste of money to me.

On a side note:

I find bits to hold up BETTER in an impact then a regular cordless.

Blog Entries
    Wiha, various grades available.
    I also use Wiha bits that I ordered from chadstoolbox.com for driving phillips, combo, and square drive bits. The textured bits really do a good job of gripping the fasteners. For driving lags bolts I use bits from my Craftsman mechanics set & get them replaced for free if damage occurs. So far they have held up without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rowe View Post
    In a word - APEX.
    These are the only suitable bits I have found for impact drivers. For all others, the steel is too soft, twists and separates. The APEX bits are hardened and I haven't broken one yet.

McFeely's carries a limited number of APEX bits but there are other sources who carry the entire line. I won't buy anything else.
    Steve
    +1 for my money. I have a set of DW impact ready bits for my 10.8 impact driver, but they break too easily for my likes, and are quite expensive. I bought some of the APEX bits, and find them much better than anything else I have used, although I haven't tried Wiha or Irwin. The standard Bosch bits and standard DW bits are way too soft, and fracture in no time when using an impact driver.