Thread: Craftsman 113.29902 Arbor Bearings

Craftsman 113.29902 Arbor Bearings

Was recently given my father's old Craftsman saw. I noticed a clicking sound when I turned the arbor by hand, so I decided to replace the bearings. The originals were made by Hoover - model #77202-10.
    The local bearing shop set me up with NSK - model #6202-10ZZ. The man assured me that they were a perfect match, but now I doubt it.
    I installed them and noticed that there seems to be some play (about .002") in the arbor. The new bearings are 35mm O.D. x 5/8" I.D. I think that they should be 1-3/8" O.D. not 35mm. The difference between these sizes is about .002".
    For those of you who have replaced these bearings, what brand/model did you use?

Thanks

Bearings

Best thing to do w/old bearings in hand go back to the bearing place and get them to match them up.They can take mics and get the correct size that you need.Are maybe the shaft has wore over the yrs of use????Good Luck and welcome to SMC-----Carroll

What direction is the play? Up and down, or back and forth along the arbor axis?
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Do the original bearings have numbers on them, also most bearings are normally done metric, it's pretty odd for a bearing to be imperial (not unheard of though). Even my 1950's Dewalt RAS used metric bearings in it.

-Stephen

The play is both up and down and side to side. I don't have a micrometer large enough to measure the bearings; I assumed the bearing shop did...

I just found out that Sears still has arbors and bearings available for this machine. Maybe I'll go that route, although I'm skeptical of the quality of Sears products these days...

Erik, an internet search gives this info for a saw similar to yours:

Craftsman 113.29991 10-inch Bench Saw

• Original Bearings: Hoover 77202-10 (-10 denotes 5/8" bore)
    • Accurate Replacement: 6202ZZ-5/8 (double shields) or 6202LL-5/8 (double seals)
    Correct bore should be 5/8". If there remains slop on the O.D., there is a good chance that cast iron bearing housing of the arbor wore some over years of use. If the bearings are only .002" out, use gap-filling LocTite to secure them in place. Heat will be required to remove the bearings in the future (not likely for you will have to)
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Bearing

You could submit a request to: accuratebearing.com. This is a source recommended at owwm.