Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowl #2 - and a little extra.....

Bowl #2 - and a little extra.....

This is the bowl that I was going to do the donut chuck for. But, Alan Trout suggested a jamb chuck, and I thought I would try it so I could get this one finished up. It actually worked pretty well, though I think I will go ahead with the donut chuck.

Cherry, with walnut finial ebonized with India ink. It is about 5.5" to the tip of the finial. BLO and shellac at this point - not sure where to go from here?!? I did get some gloss wipe on poly and may do that, though I am not sure I like the high gloss look.
    1.jpg

I think the finial is a little heavy for the bowl. Note to self on that one. I may have loaded up a bit much on my second attempt anyway - first bowl with an undercut, first lid, first finial. I probably need to move a little slower.

Also, the first time that I have tried India ink, and I need to work on the process. I think dipping it would be easier, and if anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them.

I thought I would try a lid, and not thinking it through, I made the bowl with a double rim/recess. Made it a little tougher to do the lid - it wasn't easy in either event!
    2.jpg
    The bowl and lid are from two pieces of wood (same board, but different sections. The grain actually matches fairly well on one side - not so much on the other.

Oh, and my wife couldn't find another 2009 penny!! I need to get at least a couple of them - just might have time this next week to do another one!!
    3.jpg
    And, yes Ken, Tony, Brian, Bernie, Steve - I know I said I wasn't really interested in doing bowls!!!

I am really open for comments/criticism on this piece - I need that in order to improve at this stuff. So, let me hear some comments.

Improve? Umm was going to ask you if I could come down and you teach me!!

Those are beautiful! Nice work John, new to this right.......

Nice, very nice.

Toney

John your a natural at this turning stuff! Thats beautiful!
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

I like everything about it.
    Walk fast and look worried.

John my friend, I must say that is a beauty. Yes the finial could be more delicate but that will come with time. For your first I am impressed. Not saying a word John.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very, very nice!

I think I'll sell my turning tools and lathe...............
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

John:

That is very nice. I like the way you kept the grain pattern from the base to the lid. Well done.

Greg

Very nice looking bowl !!!!

John - this is very nice work! I am impressed with your sense of proportion! A lot of folks would want to turn a thinner finial but in this case - what you have works as is. Most of the really thin finials are intended as adornment and are not functional for use as a knob. In your lidded bowl - the lid is wider than those on most hollow forms and is in every sense of the word - a lidded bowl. As such, the finial should have nice style, detail work and color but should also be substantial enough to serve as a knob/handle. I think you have created the best of both worlds - a stylish finial and a functional lidded bowl. This is really nice work and something you should be proud of!

When you get into hollow forms - then you can figure out how to turn the really thin finials!

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing where this vortex takes you next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That bowl looks very nice. I am certainly not an expert but I don't think there is anything that needs changing.

JMO
    Doug

Pretty nice John. You sure you haven't been practicing somewhere? Agree that the lid fit looks challenging but you did a good job with it. Can't make up my mind on the finial, perhaps a little finer would be in order but pretty nice the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Very, very nice!

I think I'll sell my turning tools and lathe...............
    In looking at it again, I agree with you Ken, thats it, I'm done, taking up knitting now...

John you do have a natural born talent for that! Good eye and form on that as well!

Wow John! That really turned out well. And I agree with Steve - You really do have a sense of proportion with round things. The form works with the "rule" of thirds, and the form flows from the base up to the wides diameter and then into the lid, which flows smoothly into the finial.

I also agree with him that the finial is just about right. It could have been slightly smaller by maybe 10 or 15%, but no more than that. Of course, that is purely subjective.

If you'd like, I have a few 2009 pennies sitting on my desk, right in front of me, that I could throw in an envelope and mail to you.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

John, hey, i really like that box, especially how you did the bottom. nice job on ebonizing the finial, too!