Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoffman and Hammer workbenches.....anyone have one???

You can get a basic bench up and functional pretty cheap.

Buy a maple bench top from Grizzly, about $275 for a 72"x30"x2.25". (Other sizes are avalaible). Or another source of your choosing. Buy some doug fur from borg, along w/ some steel L-brackets, and screws. Buy you favorite vice. Build a base/legs w/ the doug fur L-brackets and screws. Mount the vice to the bottom of the maple slab, recessed and fitted to your needs. Flip right side up, align to base and attach base and slab w/ L-brackets and screws. Mark and drill 3/4" holes for bench dogs, configured as you see fit. wha-la!
    “Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway”
    - John Wayne (1907-1979)

Blog Entries
    Hi Nicholas and welcome to the Creek.

There is a Sawmill Creek Classifieds for listing items for sale. It is only available to contributors, imo a well spent $6.

It also gives email abilities for private messages so you can exchange information without sharing it with the whole world.

Not sure if you found this thread through a search. That is my story, searching many years ago for information on Boiled Linseed Oil.

Good luck,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Asian woodworkers work on a beam and two sawhorses, or less. https://covingtonandsons.com/2020/08...mpbell-part-2/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Asian woodworkers work on a beam and two sawhorses, or less. https://covingtonandsons.com/2020/08...mpbell-part-2/
    My woodworking used to be done on a Black & Decker Workmate. There are a lot of woodworkers around the world who work on the ground. The bench is just a way to hold the work. It doesn't have to have four legs and a vise.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I built a Nicholson style bench out of southern yellow pine, mostly Schwarz style, but with a bit of Sellers thrown in (wedged leg attachment). Mostly working on saw horses and on the floor. It is rock solid and I can’t imagine needing a heavier bench. Inexpensive also.

What are we talking about?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Nicholas, this thread is 15 years old. I suspect Travis has either found his workbench or given up hope and settled for something else.

Welcome to the Creek!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

This was the bench I used when I took a class at the Woodwright’s School. Roy Underhill had 10 of them for the students plus one for himself. It was a nice bench to use.