Thread: Box making question for a newbie.

Box making question for a newbie.

Hello to all, I hope everyone has had a good holiday so far.

Thought I would to try my hand at making some lidded boxes say about 3" wide by 5 inches tall (I like them bigger than smaller). Just for giving out to family and friends. I have watched the Raffin video and Klein videos and they make theirs using the gouge, round nose or square nose scrappers. I was wondering if you could just a easily use one the those carbide roughers like the Ci1 or the others you see on ebay and such?? I have the gouges just need to either get a couple of scrappers OR one of those carbide roughers. Not looking for an excuse to get a new tool just looking for advice from those that make lots of boxes and see what they are using. I also thought of using a large forstner bit but dont know which brand is the better brand to buy for this task. Suggestions........... Thanks.

I have made boxes for a long time using gouge and scraper. Then I got the Ci0 and Ci1 and was amazed at how much faster it goes. And those Carbide tools give you a nice finish too. I definitely don't have to start with 80 Grit, usually more like 150 Grit. The Carbide tools are fun.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Tate View Post
    I have made boxes for a long time using gouge and scraper. Then I got the Ci0 and Ci1 and was amazed at how much faster it goes. And those Carbide tools give you a nice finish too. I definitely don't have to start with 80 Grit, usually more like 150 Grit. The Carbide tools are fun.

Bob
    Bob, I would like to take a look at those -- do you have a link you could post? Thanks.

EDIT: They are in the Packard catalog
    Last edited by Jamie Straw; 12-29-2009 at 11:58 AM.

Same here, would like to see some of your boxes too. Got any photos of the tool in action?
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood