Thread: This is when woodworking is fun

This is when woodworking is fun

Just completed a pinewood derby car with my cub scout grandson. The race is next month and he wanted "grandpa" to help him. We both had a great time finishing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you got to where you were going where would it be?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Boy, he's a happy camper! I've made a few derby cars over the years. Have one more coming up!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Brings back memories Albert and fond one's indeed. Grandson is proud of Grandpa I am sure regarless of how he finishs in the Derby..
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Ah I remember making a few of those with my Dad and later my son. None of mine ever won but it didnt matter, it was the building of the car that stuck in my memory!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Those are some great memories for sure! I'm sure your grandson will remember those times for sure. I know I still have great memories of spending some "shop time" with my dad building pinewood derby cars. They were never very fast, but it didn't matter to me.

Blog Entries
    Alfred,

Thank you for reminding me of where it all started for me.

"Grandpa's Chapel" as woodworking was his religion was his name for the workshop. All of my brothers and have many fond memories of helping and learning from Grandpa back in the day.

The smile on your grandson's face says it all!

Happy New Year and keep cutting.

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Great job, and great memories for both of you! My son has been involved in the past with our grandsons, but has indicated he wants my help this year. I am really looking forward to it!

Alfred,
    Making great memories there!

I can still remember all the details of making my pinewood derby car with my dad, he was not a "handy" type, but I had fun all the same.
    Funny, I cant remember the race, only the building of the car.
    He will remember this time fondly all his life (and so will you)

Good Job!
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Alfred : I know your having a blast making the small runners >> for my son has won so many prizes for his kids , but of course I know that his kids do help in the building of these cars . I have kind of set him up in some of my lower end woodworking tools to make there job easier to make them . Not taking anything away from them , they do a great job making them too . Good Luck Alfred..................
    Usually busier than a cat in a sand box

Blog Entries
    Great job. Make sure you filed the burrs off the underside of the nail heads and the that you put a dab of glue on the nails in their slots. They tend to come loose and fall out otherwise. All four wheel should touch the ground at the same time for it to go straight. A bit of powered graphite on the axles before the race is legal and will significantly improve the speed. Most importantly get the car weighed and add weight near the center to reach the maximum allowable weight. The race is all about potential energy and the more weight the faster the car will go.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Grandpa Alfred,

That middle picture is "priceless"!

Jim

Pinewood Derby cars

When the Cub gets done with the car, grab it. Grab the next couple of cars also. Build a display box and display them - my memories are 20 years old.