Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Cherry Burl - NE tulip goblet - thanks Steve Schlumpf!!

Black Cherry Burl - NE tulip goblet - thanks Steve Schlumpf!!

Some of you will recall that "the gang" that lured me into the vortex also sent me several very nice pieces of wood and bowl blanks - thinking of course, that this would entice me even further into the abyss!!

One of those was a piece of Black Cherry burl that was among the several pieces sent to me by Steve Schlumpf. This burl came from an old Black Cherry that was located in a thick forest approximately 2 miles from the south shore of Lake Superior and just ouside of a little town called Au Train, in the upper peninsula. The old fellow who owned the property heated with wood, using mostly maple and cherry. This piece came from his wood pile.

After doing a couple of little projects, I thought I would see what I could do with this piece of burl - at the very least, not destroy it. It was odd shaped, and not very large - perhaps 4 - 4.5" along the face shown in the above pic, and that was the largest face.

I have admired the many NE pieces done by some of you, and thought that might be neat - and, it would certainly challenge me!!

Well, here is the result. It is 6.25" tall, including the walnut stem.
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    The walls are 1/8", not paper thin like you all like them, but my skill level just isn't there yet. This was my third bowl type turning, and my first piece of figured wood, so I didn't want to push the envelope too much.

The finish is BLO and shellac to this point - again, not sure what else to do. I may spray it with laquer, though I don't care for the high gloss. Guess I could rub it out a bit.

Give me your thoughts - and be honest. I can't improve if all I get are atta-boys!!

And, thanks again, Steve, for the wonderful pieces of wood!!

John, that is beautiful. the only thing I would do is make the stem a little smaller( skinnier), but it is stil a work of art.....well done
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

First thing I thought when I saw this was I really like the bowl but I thought the stem could be a little thinner. Then I read David's post so I guess I agree with him. The bowl has what I would call "fine features" so IMO the stem needs to agree with what it is supporting. Along those lines if it does not fit in your house let me know and I will send a shipping label to NE. Still a very nice piece, you did that burl proud.

I agree with the other post and I might add that a house stand on its foundation and if the foundation is too small all will fall. It appears to me that the footprint is a little small compared to the top. Sure would hate to see such a nice work of art knocked over and broken.

Thanks, guys. Now that is the kind of feedback that helps me improve! I looked at the pics again, and the angle may have made the stem look heavier than it actually is. I took another, more straight on shot.
    3.jpg
    In this pic, it appears close to what it actually is - and, probably still a little too thick.

And, I also agree on the size of the base. I actually wanted it larger, but I didn't have any bigger stock without going to the barn and getting a large piece to mill down. Haste makes waste!! Probably should have waited and done it right!

Probably should have waited and done it right![/QUOTE]

John, you didnt do it wrong. I think it is a great job and everyone eye sees things different.

it looks like you have the knack at this spinny thing and Ill bet you will be making alot more of these. so we will be ready for number 4 soon
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Wow.

I should quit turning now as I obviously don't have the genetic talents that some on this site seem to have(I'm talking about you John).

That's a pretty piece of wood and you've done a very nice job with it. I agree with the suggestions about the base being larger in diameter and the stem being slightly thinner. I might also prefer a simpler stem design so as not to detract from the beauty of the burl, but that's purely personal opinion. The color of the walnut and the area near the natural edge are almost the same color which I think looks very nice.

Can someone drive by John's house and see if there is an enormous pile of shavings and curls coming out of his shop? I can't imagine having turned something that looks this good without a ton of practice.

John,
    Consider the same stem design (in your mind) a bit thinner and/but also a bit shorter, w/ maybe slightly larger dia. foot. The cup is gorgeous, and nothing would be accomplished by making it thinner than 1/8". Need to de-emphasize the stem in order to focus on the cup. Just opinions, not to be taken too seriously.
    Richard in Wimberley

John - that is simply amazing! To think this is only your third bowl form - wow! Very impressive work!

Beautiful wood! I like the cup portion of the goblet as is and wouldn't change a thing. The stem would benefit by being thinner but also if the detail work was moved up to the 2/3s position on the stem, it would help everything balance. The foot could be slightly bigger but if the stem was thinner to begin with - it wouldn't be as noticeable.

Very impressed with your work John! Glad you were able to use the Cherry burl!

Looking forward to seeing your next project!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

My hat is off to you John.
    Putting ones mind into doing something is one thing.
    Execution is another.

You sir have the tenacity and the ability!
    I can't wait to see what is next.

Beautiful, my only critique would be to have the stand a bit skinnier.

Nothing for me to add

John, Everyone has said it all so all I will say is that for a biginner at turning, your future is very bright! The little details of what looks good, better, best and "Darn near perfect" will come with time and many changes and adjustments. You are a natural and have nowhere to go but up!

Keep up the good work,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Every eye is different and my eye says it looks just great the way it is!

Sid

John,
    That does it. I am going to go to CL and post my turning stuff for sale.
    It is really something that you have come so far in so little time.
    I agree that you are a natural for this woodturning, and look forward to seeing more of your work.
    Not only the turnings, but also the flat work you do so well.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Ya done good Pilgrim!