Thread: Sharpening question

Sharpening question

I was warned that as I started using planes I should be prepared to learn how to sharpen. Santa brought me the Veritas honing guide. How do I know what angle to use when sharpening planes and chisels?

Thanks.

Simple rules

Match the existing angles. Usually about 25 degrees. The standard angles are fine for most uses. Keep it simple at first and just try to get a good sharp straight edge. Then try to chamfer a plane blade. Don't forget to flatten the backs too. If you want to use micro bevels or dig deeper into why modifying the standard angles may work better in some cases, I would suggest getting a book or two. There is a new book out by Ron Hock that looks really good. I think TFWW has it. L-N & L-V also have some good books.

Eric

Ed,
    I agree with Eric, just match the current angle.

Once you learn to get reasonably sharp, then you will naturally learn *your* preferences.

I say reasonably sharp, as it is a lifelong learning curve, you get sharper and sharper edges as you go along learning. Sharpness has little relation to angle BTW, a sharp 90 degree edge is sharper than a 10 degree blunt edge (ever get a cut from the side of a freshly cut board?)

Sharpen, use, re-sharpen, repeat as necessary

Sharpness is a journey, not a destination - enjoy the trip!

Oh! one last tip: Find a friend who seems to be further along than you, and have a "planing" party! Get together, sharpen your blades and plane a board down to a toothpick.

Mike
    Last edited by mike holden; 12-29-2009 at 8:25 AM. Reason: .
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

A atraight and sharp cutting edge is vital to success with a plane. If your planes are bevel - down, the angle doesn't matter that much, as long as you can get it razor sharp and it isn't too terribly thin. I know that on my chisels, plane irons, etc, all of the angles are slightly different because they conform to the radius on my grinder - that is, the thicker the blade, the farther up the wheel it will travel, thus creating a sharper angle when i hone them freehand. It doesn't bother me at all. Let my know how that jig works when you get it going, i am seriously considering buying one. I sharpen freehand now by locking my arms and rocking back and forth on the stone. I think it's making me seasick.

I took a class the day after I got my LN #7, and the instructor taught the Charlesworth method of sharpening. Good thing, too. I learned that there are many wrong ways to sharpen and only a few right ways. I think it's best to learn the right way and keep on that track during your whole journey.

While there were many steps, perhaps 7, doing them all is still pretty simple and easy to see results after each step.

Learn good habits now, and you wont have to unlearn anything later.