Thread: Sliding table vs. track saw. . .

Sliding table vs. track saw. . .

I am looking for opinions of one of these over the other. My tool fund is approaching $500 and since I recently bought a Benchdog CI router wing for my TS, I am kinda liking this whole 'soup up your tablesaw" thing. . .

I was thinking the Jess'Em Mast'r Slide was my next purchase. But after seeing a magazine article on track saws I am starting to think one of the Festool track saws might be an all-around better choice. FWIW, this would be the first Festool product I've purchased.

As far as breaking down sheet goods AND being able to make cabinet-quality cuts the track saw is obviously the choice. The Mast'r Slide has crosscut capacity at 36", so crosscutting full sheets is out anyway.

Seems WoodShopDemos.com gives convincing evidence of the Festool system - Track Saw included.

Your thoughts & opinions are most welcome.

Thanks.

I think a track saw system makes perfect sense for what you want to do.
    That is the route I choose and I have no regrets.

I would urge you to look at some of the other systems that are available as well as Festool before you make your decision. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to know what I choose and why.

I just got done breaking down a couple sheets of BB ply for shop cabinets and am still not liking the idea of using a track saw to do this. Currently, I have a shop-build "track" guide for my own miter saw and cut all pieces 1/2" over size and then cut to final size on my table saw, due to inaccuracies in my layout. I have a basment shop so full size sheet goods isn't possible.

I am thinking about building my own sliding table that would give me the ability to final dimension all pieces on the table saw.

The reason I would rather have the sliding table/table saw is because it has a positive stop (the fence) and when you are using a track saw (or miter saw and guide) you are at the mercy of your ability to layout the markings exact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    I just got done breaking down a couple sheets of BB ply for shop cabinets and am still not liking the idea of using a track saw to do this.
    I bought a Festool and always had the same thought--break 'em down slightly oversize, trim to exact on the table saw. Funny thing is that my margin kept getting smaller and smaller and smaller and finally I gave up on it. The Festool--with its zero clearance guide--is pretty damn accurate.

Currently I cut most if not all of my sheet goods on my 4'x8' CNC router, but in the past that wasn't an option to me, and I know it isn't for most.

I started out cutting all my sheet goods with a shop made guide, and then a rail system. I eventually moved to using the guided system along side my tablesaw.

I prefer to rip sheet goods on the tableasaw. While there is more labor involved moving the material I find not having to move, setup a guide and clamp it to the material each cut makes it faster and more fool proof, and the cut is a little bit better.

I primarily use a guide when crosscutting sheet goods, since this does pose challenges if you do not have a sliding table saw.

I also frequently use my circular saw guide to straight line rip stock with bowed/cupped edges so that I can keep my jointer set finely and just take a quick pass to clean up the edge.

There are a number of options out on the market for commercially made guides. However, If all you want to do is break down sheet goods the best option in my book is a shop made guide since they are easily made from a scrap piece of plywood or something else with a straight edge. A commercially made guide or track saw is the way to go for finished cuts.

The fesstool system is good but there are also alternatives, and pretty much everything on the market has its pros and cons.

back on topic A guided saw is not a replacement for a sliding table saw, but is a compromise,if you don't have the need, space, or budget, to justify a sliding table saw, and a tool of its own that has its own unique uses. You also can't put a sliding table saw away on a shelf at the end of the day, or take it to a job-site. if you can a sliding table saw, and a guided saw are both nice to have.

Bottom line, if you start out with a guided saw and buy a sliding table later on you will still find many uses for both tools.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 12-29-2009 at 1:37 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

They're both good investments and which to choose is going to depend on your priorities. I have both in my shop, couple of Uni's, one equipped with an Excalibur slider, and also the Festool track saw.
    My recommendation would be to go for the slider first. Reason being is that it will very likely get more use than the track saw. You can use any saw to break down sheet goods before cleaning them up on the tablesaw. But for doing repetitive cuts you can't beat a decent slider. Tablesaw is the center of most small shops and making it as functional as possible is a good goal.
    Once you save up an additional chunk of change then go for the Festool.
    The track saw is the only Festool product I own and can say it's worth every penny. I use it for breaking down sheetgoods, cutting angled parts for cabinets, and for crosscutting stock that's just too large for my tablesaw to handle.
    good luck,
    JeffD

I would never trade my sliding table for a tracksaw at this point. I have been able to do so many things with it that I would have never thought possible otherwise. Even for simple crosscuts (say cutting a 12x20 sheet of plywood in half) it is far safer than a miter gauge and so much more enjoyable to use.

I would say on orders of magnitude, the sliding table is more useful than the tracksaw.

Smile saw

Love my Festool saw
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Cary,

A few comments. I have owned a Mast-R-slide in the past as well as a Festool TS55 and a full fledged sliding tablesaw (Felder cf741). The Mast-R-slide is a nicely constructed item but has a lot of limitations that really don't make it a great choice for breaking down sheetgoods. It is really just a glorified crosscut sled, albeit a nice shiny one that makes you feel good. It is important to differentiate one of these small aftermarket sliding tables from a true sliding tablesaw. My Felder has a 9 foot sliding table with an outrigger and this thing will run orbits around the Mast-R-Slide for versatility and function (as it should). Frankly, it also runs circles around the Festool tracksaw but only because it is large enough and strong enough to handle full plywood sheets effortlessly. A true slider with change your methods of work, but so can a tracksaw for a lot less $.

If you are primarily interested in breaking down sheet goods and don't have the space or budget for a true sliding tablesaw, I would strongly recommend the Festool tracksaw (or perhaps another brand if you so choose). If you are primarily interested in throwing out your crosscut sled for small panels, then the Mast-R-slide is an acceptable option. In retrospect, though, there are a lot better ways to spend your $500 budget in terms of bang for the buck in woodworking.

R

I should point out i'm referring to an exaktor sliding table, which is basically an excalibur... not a jessem mast-r-slide.

Guided saw systems, like the one you mentioned, Cary, are a very good choice for working with sheet goods comfortably and accurately. The "add on" sliding tables, which are still far removed from the blade, unlike a true sliding saw, are "ok" but can be cumbersome for some types of cuts. With the guided system, just keep some 2" foam insulation to slap down on the floor; put the sheet stock down on that; mark your cut lines and then put the rail down and cut. Done. And very accurate.

I actually own and use a true sliding table saw and still find a lot of utility with my guided saw; more outside of the shop, but it still solves a lot of interesting cut problems that a piece of fine stationary machinery just can't do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I opted for a tracksaw to use in conjunction with my table saw and it works very well -- not only on sheet goods, but also in breaking down rough lumber before moving to other stages of processing. A real nice benefit with the tracks saw is that when I am done, I put it back in its Systainer and the guide rails lean up against the wall and I have reclaimed my floorspace. I wish I had room for a slider and if you have the space and money, I would buy one of those in a heartbeat. Unfortunately for me I do not and the track system was the way to go...so far I am very pleased with my decision.

Scot

I've owned a Mast-R-Slide for several years on my Unisaw and would buy one again without question. Well engineered and manufactured, it is capable of a broad variety of cuts which would otherwise require a number of dedicated cross cut sleds.

While it does a number of things well, it is not designed to break down sheet goods. For that you'd need a track saw, or simply a straight edge to use as a jig (several are available for well under $200).

Search here in SMC and there have been a number of threads regarding the Mast-R-Slide. Almost exclusively positive responses. The ability to square up panels or doors wider that 13" have made this worth the price for me alone. Include a rigid extendable fence with a flip stop for repeatable cross cuts, you'll never need to buy an after market miter gauge.

With your budget of $500, you'll have some change left over. For most of the track saws I've seen - you're only half way there.