Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baltic Birch Pricing and suppliers

Question Baltic Birch Pricing and suppliers

After talking to Buzz from Laserbuzz, it appears that I am paying top dollar for my Russian Baltic Birch plywood (.124).
    I am paying $18. for a 5x5 sheet, buzz informed me that many people using his product are paying under $10 a sheet and some as low as $7 a sheet.
    I plan on using a lot of BB ply over the next 3 months gearing up for my summer sales. Getting my cost down on the BB would be really helpful.
    My question is; What do you pay for Russian BB(.125) and where do you get it?
    Best Regards
    Jim J.
    Last edited by James Jaragosky; 12-29-2009 at 2:02 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

I don't use it right now, but plan on it in the upcoming year.

Actually I was thinking of calling Buzz and see which vendor he recommends.

Did he recommend one to you?

Thanks
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I bought from Atlantic and with freight it was still less than Hardwoods.
    When they shipped the wood to me a couple of the sheets were damaged due to the way it was packaged.
    It was just banded and some cardboard around it.
    I would inquire how they are protecting the sheets when shipping.
    The freight company paid the claim with in a couple of days of submitting.

The thickness of Atlantic was .114.

I believe Buzz get his wood from Hardwoods and the thickness is .120

Atlantic Plywood Corp
    Richmand, VA
    804-553-1997
    Contact is Andy
    $10.36 a sheet plus shipping

Hardwoods Inc
    Marbleton, GA
    $9.50 Sheet plus shipping
    404-792-0910

I'm going to order in another month from now and would also like here from others if there is someone else out there with a better price.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Resnick View Post
    When they shipped the wood to me a couple of the sheets were damaged due to the way it was packaged.
    It was just banded and some cardboard around it.
    I would inquire how they are protecting the sheets when shipping.
    The freight company paid the claim with in a couple of days of submitting.

The thickness of Atlantic was .114.

I believe Buzz get his wood from Hardwoods and the thickness is .120

Atlantic Plywood Corp
    Richmand, VA
    804-553-1997
    Contact is Andy

Hardwoods Inc
    Marbleton, GA
    $9.50 Sheet plus shipping
    404-792-0910

I'm going to order in another month from now and would also like here from others if there is someone else out there with a better price.

Steven
    Steven thanks for the information. Where are you located?
    A fellow Creeker just gave me a contact # for a company out of Pennsylvania that has a hub in Indianapolis.
    The price quoted was $9.15 for Russian Baltic Birch bb once side .124 5x5
    I ordered ten sheets to start with, if they work out I will get more at the end of the month. Here is their link press 5 for sales.
    http://www.distributor-service.com/
    LaserCut 5.3

Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Just bought 5 sheets at Atlanta Hardwood. Price was $16+ per sheet. If I had purchased 10 sheets price would have been $14+.

Would like to get in on or start a group buy if possible.
    Last edited by Jerry Hewett; 12-29-2009 at 6:17 PM.
    Laser Products Direct
    Jerry Hewett
    GCC SpiritGX 40W
    EngraveLab Laser
    PhotoGrav
    CorelDraw X3
    Metalphoto Converter
    Brother GT-541 Garment Printer
    Epson Stylus Pro Printer 9700 (44")

James,
    I'm in Central Florida, just north of Orlando.
    I also bought 50 sheets.

Steven

James,
    I'm in Central Florida, just north of Orlando.
    I also bought 50 sheets.

Steven
    What company did you purchase from?
    Did you get a good price break on a 50 sheet order?
    Thanks for posting.
    jim j.
    LaserCut 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by James Jaragosky View Post
    What company did you purchase from?
    Did you get a good price break on a 50 sheet order?
    Thanks for posting.
    jim j.
    Jim, he mentioned it in his post.

Atlantic Plywood Corp
    Richmond, VA
    804-553-1997
    Contact is Andy
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Jim, he mentioned it in his post.
    Thanks Scott, I missed that.
    For me this is a little like your post about the different pricing for different people. It's kind of like you asking how much is this widget? And them answering how much you got?
    The company I currently get my BB from is getting $18 a sheet, and he buys in bulk . The guy down the road is asking $9.15 a sheet and selling in small quantities. That has to be over a 50% markup right there.
    It all boils down to greed. It use to be that a business was considered successful if it made between 6 and 10 percent gross profit; now unless you are making 40 percent or more you are a chump.
    We should compare pricing on more of our consumable supplies. perhaps even start a co-op.
    Jim J.
    LaserCut 5.3

Hey James,
    Oouch! Don't worry I have 9 more toes.
    Just kidding. Hey there is also a big difference in quality and price from mill to mill.
    We ONLY use genuine Baltic Birch and it is grade B/BB. Consistency is the key. Some mills have so so QC and it will show. Some sell you BB/BB (footballs on both sides) at a discounted price. Some will even try to substitute Chinese birch. Please also remember there is more to it than a cheap price.

Shipping costs- varies by LTL, supplier and distance. Most will have a minimum.

Do you have a forklift to unload it or will you be unloading it by hands. 5x5 sheets will take 2 people and that's and area open for damage, scratches or warpage. Every time you handle a sheet it costs you money.

Space to store it - either whole sheets or cut to size blanks.

If you have a regular table saw (not a large sliding table saw) 5x5 sheets are typically not that easy to get accurate cuts without at least 2 people that can work a table saw together in unison.

Those that have a sliding table already know what to do and have already or are continuing to make the $$$ investment.

and many other factors not mentioned (shop overhead, truck, gas, travel time, blade sharpening, insurance, band-aids, waste/damage factor... please feel free to add any I may have missed) that also increase the per sheet costs/price.

Just wanted to make sure that the additional costs required to bring a cut sheet to the laser table are not forgotten.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Geeesh.. And all this time I just thought they sucked that stuff out of Russian trees
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

baltic birch

James, I have used kencraftcompany.com in the past. They are in Toledo. Their web site says 1/8"-60"x60" is $11.30. But I believe they charge to cut it. The normal cuts are to 15" incraments. The last time I bought 10 sheets and asked for them to cut to 12" incraments and they made the extra cut for free.
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

wood

Hey Mike thanks for the great wood,very happy and will reorder when I get low. Nice stuff,Thanks Robert
    Sandcraved Glassware, Stone and Tile
    Engraver of Coats of Arms
    Laser 60 W Xenetech XLT 2436 New Hermes IS400,7200 Glastar Mini, Scat Blast 6' cabinet.Tile saw. Corel X4 PotoGrave3 Adobe CS3,

What do you guys pay for 1/2" BB 5x5? I am in NY. What's a good source around here for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kowalczyk View Post
    Hey James,
    Oouch! Don't worry I have 9 more toes.
    Just kidding. Hey there is also a big difference in quality and price from mill to mill.
    We ONLY use genuine Baltic Birch and it is grade B/BB. Consistency is the key. Some mills have so so QC and it will show. Some sell you BB/BB (footballs on both sides) at a discounted price. Some will even try to substitute Chinese birch. Please also remember there is more to it than a cheap price.

Shipping costs- varies by LTL, supplier and distance. Most will have a minimum.

Do you have a forklift to unload it or will you be unloading it by hands. 5x5 sheets will take 2 people and that's and area open for damage, scratches or warpage. Every time you handle a sheet it costs you money.

Space to store it - either whole sheets or cut to size blanks.

If you have a regular table saw (not a large sliding table saw) 5x5 sheets are typically not that easy to get accurate cuts without at least 2 people that can work a table saw together in unison.

Those that have a sliding table already know what to do and have already or are continuing to make the $$$ investment.

and many other factors not mentioned (shop overhead, truck, gas, travel time, blade sharpening, insurance, band-aids, waste/damage factor... please feel free to add any I may have missed) that also increase the per sheet costs/price.

Just wanted to make sure that the additional costs required to bring a cut sheet to the laser table are not forgotten.
    Mike you add value to your sales by cutting to size and shipping. I am sure that your business charges a fair price for the wood and service.

I have access to a panel saw so cutting 5x5 sheets down is not a big issue for me.
    I am only interested Pricing in bb/b Russian Baltic birch .125.
    The guy that I was buying the Baltic Birch from wanted $2 a cut on top of $18 a sheet.
    After talking to several people I have come to believe my old source for BB is getting from my new source, they are about 20 miles apart.
    A 50% up charge seems steep for such a short trip.

The old source may be justified in his pricing but as a consumer I am equally justified in shopping somewhere else.

I only ordered ten sheets from the new source, the proof will show in the next few days and I will post on my findings.

wishing you a prosperous new year.
    Jim J.
    LaserCut 5.3