Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist Planes

Craigslist Planes

Someone on my local craigslist just posted a bunch of planes and chisels for $50. I'm just getting started in woodworking and know nothing about planes. Not much detail in the posting, waiting for his email but he did post a pic, although it's not a good one. Any ideas if these are worth $50?

A little hard to tell what you got there, but:

1) They all appear to be complete and in reasonable condition - if the lack of rust on the soles is indicative of the overall condition. There's a couple blocks, a 3-4 smoother, and a 5-ish jack at least. That's a good 'starter set' of planes and chisels.

2) Tuning planes and sharpening chisels is an acquired skill and can involve modest investment in sharpening/cleaning equipment (like well under $100). But fettling can be frustrating for even the experienced woodworker. I wouldn't expect to be able to use these out of the proverbial box. If you decide to 'start' here, then be prepared for some frustration (which can ultimately be quite rewarding).

3) If they are in good condition, then $50 is a great deal.

Ask the poster for close ups or at least the makes and hopefully model of each tool
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 12-31-2009 at 9:48 AM.

I would definitely take a look at them. If the planes show no serious damage then I would snap them up for $50. A single vintage plane on Ebay is usually over $50 especially after you add in shipping. Worse comes to worse turn around and sell them on Ebay if you are not happy.

As to what they are it is almost impossible to tell from the picture. If Stanleys I would say that going clockwise from the top there is a 6C (with broken tote), some block plane, a sureform, modern corner chisel, starter chisel set, two more blocks maybe a 60 or a 60 1/2, and a 4. Definitely worth $50.

What is the long one toward the bottom right?

Looks like a Stanley Sureformish type of rasp/microplane.

Just got his reply back,

The planes are Sargent (The big wood one) and Stanley. They are all old, and in Fair condition.

Worth my time?

I think whether they are worth your time or not, that's a gamble. That picture doesn't tell anything. His reply doesn't tell much more either. BUT if I were you, I'd get it for $50. I think there's enough to resell for over $50 if they aren't as good as expected.

I appreciate the responses. I'm going to take a look at noon. He's got a rigid oscillating sander for $75 too that I'm interested in. Maybe I can get it all for $100.

If there is a really good stanley in there it alone will bring $50 on ebay.

Sounds like a decent deal, but be warned this could be just the tip of the neander iceberg for you! This will undoubtedly lead to sharpening equipment (necessary to get them working properly), wood to use them on, hand saws to cut them with, replacement blades/irons, etc, etc.
    Keep us updated!!!

Just got the models from him:

Sargent #3418
    Stanleys:#5, #4, #110, #220, and no number on the other one.

On second thought I think those are horrible planes and should immediately be removed from circulation. I will reimburse you the $50 plus shipping so that I can see to it that they are dealt with in a reasonable manner. Especially that woodie, horrible creature each and every one.

Much nicer listing than what I have been seeing here. Some guy wanted $125 for an old no-name beat up woodie jointer with no wedge and a stanley blade. I told him it was worth about $10 for the beech and he got seriosly offended. I was going to make two smoothers out of it.

With that listing of makers, just make sure there are no cracked soles, cheeks or filed open mouths and no serious pitting on the soles, and if so, just pay the man the $50 and forget haggling, he's giving them away.

Buy that stuff immediately. I would pay 75 for it in a heartbeat. 50 is a steal.

I gave him $40. Felt a little bad about it, but not because I know anything about planes. He was divorced in a run down old duplex and he seemed eager to take the $40. Probably could've went $30.

They're dirty and one has a broken tote that's taped up, a little rust on most, but nothing major. Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend and I'll post some picks and you guys can tell whether or not I got a good deal. Then I can learn how to sharpen

On a funny note, the spindle sander was a different person. The guy looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if he still had it. The person with the sander is going to be wondering why I'm interested in both the planes and the sander lol.