Thread: Building a motorized table lift ..

Building a motorized table lift ..

I am hoping there is someone here who has done this before..

There is a member here who is a "wide belt mechanic" .. I seem to remember..

Anyway.. I have a used SCM wide belt.. It doesnt have motorized lift / fall on the table.. The reason I want it is that each full revolution of the wheel is 1/4 of a mm..

So to lower or raise the table 1" is about 100 turns.. (could be 80) ..

For actual sanding.. its great.. For lowering the table 3".. its painful.. it sucks..

I have asked SCM for a price on the parts.. but suspect I am looking at $1500.00

I need a gear motor, momentary rocker switch, 2 pulleys and a V-Belt..

Then I need an upper and lower limit switch..

Those parts, excluding wire are about $150.00 at Burden sales..

My question is .. I would like to have an additional button that when pressed, caused the gear motor to turn for say.. 1/2 a second.. or 1/4 of a second.. It would cause the table to rise by 1/4" mm..

When sanding.. I can just press the button after each pass. Really handy..

So .. would that be a mechanical thing ? a timer? I have no idea.. Basically a switch that when pressed gives a really short burst of power.. but exactly the same each time..

Or.. I could set it up so it caused one revolution of a pulley ? Make the pulleys the right size, so 1 revoltution was the right amount ?

Can anyone shed some wisdom here?

I am including a picture of what the gear box looks like and how it will attach..

At the bottom of that Gear box is a shaft..

I can put a pulley on that shaft, and hook a motor up to it.. no problem, that is how SCM likely does it ..

Check your PM's.

Steve

Rick

I had an old planer with that issue. My Rube Goldburg solution was to weld a 1" nut to the hand wheel and I kept a dedicated cheap cordless drill with a 1" socket in a cradle on the tool. When I had to make big adjustments I just stuck the cordless/socket on the nut and ran it up or down until close, pulled it off and put it back in the cradle and fine adjusted with the hand wheel. I replaced that machine with a SCMI 520 with an electric table which is great, but the cordless worked just fine.

Now my solution just makes me chuckle..........

I have several SCMI machines, they sure are proud of their parts!

Man, you are putting together quite the shop!

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 01-01-2010 at 8:55 AM.

Rick

Looks to me like the shaft on the bottom of the gear box is the output shaft. You'd have to hook your drive up to the input shaft, and it appears to me that the input shaft is sticking out of the cabinet.

You may be able to get a name from the gear box and get in touch with the company for information about the proper adapter to mount a c-faced motor to the input shaft.

Good Luck
    Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

You will have everything you need if you can find an old trash compactor to cannibalize. They normally have two ball acme screws for lift travel powered by a geared down motor. The whole lift assembly is powered by a chain drive. It should also has lots of travel limitor switches.