Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated Grizzly G1023 tablesaw!

Updated Grizzly G1023 tablesaw!

Happy New Year!

Grizzly's 2010 catalog is now on their home page.

Thrilled to see that they're keeping the G1023 cabinet saw alive. Seems they've updated it to include a riving knife, and a couple of other goodies.

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

I noticed that too last night when my catalog arrived. It looks like they made some real nice modifications to the 1023 line of saws. Sounds like a dust shroud which helps dust collection a great deal, a serp belt instead of the old 3 V-belt drive, a riving knife, and quick relese throat plate. I am really impressed I think all of their cabinet saws come with riving knives now.

It's nice to have choices! Hp, DC connection orientation, color. Seems like a lot of saws in the same basic price point though. Do they also offer it in a right tilt for those that prefer that? I need to go online and look at the 2010 catalog and see what else it shows. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

The way the ad reads it looks like the riving knife may be a fixed feature, like it don't go up and down with the blade. I noticed it said quick change between a splitter and riving knife. To have a real riving knife there would have to be some major engineering to the arbor assembly.
    Fred

Fred, I'm going to guess that the riving knife is a true riving knife that goes up and down with the blade. The 690/691 read the same way in the original catalog. It has been changed in the 2010. If you look at the model on pg 18, it shows a picture of the trunnion. My guess that they used the same set up from the 690/691 was wrong! Totally different. Not just the pulley for the serpentine belt vs the 3 v belt system. Not enough detail to be able to tell if the trunnion is as heavy duty as the previous 1023 was. With the 690/691 trunnion, it was easy to tell that it was basically the old 1023 trunnion updated with the gearing for the riving knife. Could this be the dovetail way trunnion that the other Laguna TS model has? Or is it something different? I'm sure Papa Bear will get us the skinny in due time.
    And what is the bump out at the top right side of the cabinet behind the tilt wheel? I do like the start/stop button with the oversized paddle to stop the saw. The dust shroud around the blade is nice!! Wonder if they will make something like that available on the 690/691???
    And page 23 does show the router table addition for the 690/691 saws.
    Very nice additions! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Wishing you'd waited, Jim??

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    It's nice to have choices! Hp, DC connection orientation, color. Seems like a lot of saws in the same basic price point though. Do they also offer it in a right tilt for those that prefer that? I need to go online and look at the 2010 catalog and see what else it shows. Jim.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    The way the ad reads it looks like the riving knife may be a fixed feature, like it don't go up and down with the blade. I noticed it said quick change between a splitter and riving knife. To have a real riving knife there would have to be some major engineering to the arbor assembly.
    Fred
    All of our Tablesaws in the 2010 catalog have "true" riving knives that go up and down with the blade. Yes, there was major re-engineering to some of the saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    All of our Tablesaws in the 2010 catalog have "true" riving knives that go up and down with the blade. Yes, there was major re-engineering to some of the saws.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Really appreciate your input.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Wishing you'd waited, Jim??
    Not in the least! I believe I got the best saw for the best price. How about you?? Jim.

I would be interested to see if Grizzly can come up with a blade shroud add on for the G0690/91 saws. I think that might be kind of difficult with the trunion system it uses though. The trunion system on the R series 1023 saws seems to be more modern than the past styles. Having owned a saw with a sloped internal cabinet and one with a shroud. The shroud system dramatically increase the amount of dust collected above and below the table. The saw with a shroud requires less CFM to effectivly collect dust.

New Lenox, IL (Southwestern Chicago Suburb)
    Lotsa questions about it here. Where does the extra weight come from? Catalog says something like 700 lbs shipping weight. That is pretty significant. Also, does it have a Leeson motor like the 691? Where is the dust port located? I don't have the new catalog yet, but am looking for more photo's. When might they be on the website? Also, what are the major differences between the new 1023 and the 691? Hope someone can help me with this.

Brian, time will tell, but I bet the dust port is on the same side as the old 1023. It's not on the right side like the 690/691. So either the left side, or more likely the back. The 1023SR has slightly shorter rails than the 690, and doesn't have any extra extension table beyond the cast iron extensions, and weighs about 28 lbs less. The one with the CI router table would add considerably more weight, and may be the one tipping the scales at 700. I thought the new 1023's in the online catalog showed the amp consumption, but looking at it right quick, I see it's not listed. But I think they learned not to leave a selling point like a Leeson motor go unprinted again. No one knew the 690/691s had the Leeson for a while. In the old catalog, the amp consumption on the 1023 motor was 15, while the Leeson on the 690/691 shows 12.8. Some questioned whether the Leeson was a true 3hp because it was a lower amp rating. But it must be a more efficient design, because it works out to the same amp per hp as the 5hp Leeson on my cyclone.
    I'm going to guess that the online write up will be virtually the same as the catalog listing. Unless there are some additions/corrections along the way, like adding the Leeson motor designation to the web site on the 690/691 units. I still haven't gotten my 2010 catalog yet. Still looking at the online version of it to see the info on these saws. I do like the blade shroud idea though. Nice addition. Jim.

Jim, I am looking at the 1023rlx and the 691. On their website, they list the shipping weight as 709 lbs. The reason I am getting so goofy about this stuff is because I am also comparing to the PM2000. In 2 different classes? Maybe, maybe not... I believe 90% of the performance of any tablesaw is being set up correctly including using a good blade.
    Now for the next issue. I am on a limited budget which puts me into a different position than most of the people posting on here. I am medically retired due to the loss of my leg in Iraq in 2003. Because of this, I only have my disability as a source of income. I am planning on setting up shop to build furniture for other people who are in the same position as myself, and also cannot afford quality furniture for themselves. Sounds like an odd cause perhaps, but it will also allow me to do what I have talent for to help wounded soldiers who are less fortunate than myself. When I contacted every major manufacturer of power equipment to see if they would be interested in helping me out with this in any possible way, only WMH felt like replying and offering any support to the cause. Now, I am upgrading my equipment, and looking very hard at the PM2000 even though it is 1000 bucks more than the Grizzly. Needless to say, I am having a moral dilemna with this, but at the end of the day, money is money. The fence on the 691 grabs my attention, as does the motor and dust collection port location, but loses points for not having shrouded dust collection. The new 1023rlx has more weight, and shrouded dust collection, but I don't know how the dust collection port is set up, or what the quality of the motor is. Perhaps Shiraz can offer his opinion between the two models and update us on any major improvements to the new 1023 which would make it as appealing as the prior 1023 has been to thousands of people who have purchased it already.
    Thanks for reading my madness which has been spawned by countless hours of research, and I look forward to hearing from anyone who has any positive input.

Regards,
    Brian Wilhelm
    SGT USA (ret)

Brian, I didn't see the RLX at first. I did just finally find it in the "you might also be interested in" section. I'm not sure how it would be heavier than the same base saw with shorter rails but with a cast iron router table section, but it may be. You might double check with Grizzly to make sure that's not a mis print, and it should read 609. The router wing shows to weigh 62 lbs by itself.
    Which ever way you decide to go, I can't imagine finding a better company to purchase a saw from. Grizzly has shown time and time again that they will take care of their customers. Not taking anything away from the PM2000, but the insides of the 691 just look a lot beefier to me. I may be blinded though.
    Other than that, I would see it as a trade off of features. Are you close to one of their showrooms? You don't have your location plugged in to tell. If so, when the new 1023r's arrive, I'd definitely take a trip and look at them. That might tell you for sure which way to go.
    And God Bless you for your outlook on life!!! I think it is a noble idea to continue to try to help your fellow soldiers. Maybe Shiraz will see this and make an executive decision. You've made a huge sacrifice for all of us, and let me say here and now.
    THANK YOU!!!
    Jim.

Jim,
    Just updated my profile.