Thread: Trailers for hauling sheet goods and lumber?

Trailers for hauling sheet goods and lumber?

The roof rack question got me wondering: any suggestions for a utility trailer for transporting stuff home from store and yard for us pickup-impaired folks?

Ideally, something cheap, easy to store when not in use, and most important, cheap?

Look at the Harbor Freight trailers this on folds up for strorage

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90154

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post

Wow! That appears to be just about a perfect solution. The foldup feature would certain help get the unused trailer out of the way.

I looked at the trailers form Tractor Supply, Craig's List, Harbor Freight and Lowes a short time ago.
    Ended up trading my Accord in on a Sienna van.

Even the fold up feature presented storage issues for me.
    Then there's the hassle of getting the trailer weighed for the license, the insurance, the plates, getting a hitch fitted, fooling around with the lights* & most of all the trailer is open to the elements.

Anyhow - have a look at the places I listed up above. All of them have comparable prices if you time it right.

*re: the lights. There's a god of trailer lights out there somewhere that requires the sacrifice of some kind, I swear! The lights always work - except for when you need them ! My boat trailer lights always worked perfectly on Friday evening when I'd check them. Come 4:00am Saturday morning when I wanted to head out - nada.

I got a 6x10 utility trailer a few years ago...that was my Father's Day present. It's fantastsic. I just leave it parked off in the corner of the yard and it's very handy. But I did look at the 'fold-away' trailers at one point - interesting concept.

On the lights - I agree, trailer lights almost by definition are terrible. I think mine worked until the first 'bad' weather, and then were very intermittent. What I found was that the whole grounding of the light system was terrible. It had been painted, and THEN the wires were attached, and only a power wire was run to each light assembly - the ground was where the light was bolted to the trailer. I ended running a specific ground wire around, to each of the lights, and they now work 100% of the time. Sometimes, you just need to "fix" them.

boat trailers are tough because they are always getting wet....
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

trailer alternatives

had to move a 10' sheet metal brake no one had a trailer long enough so went to U-haul and rented one for $24.95. for the day. might be a cheap alternative to buying one storing titling etc.

One comment about trailer lights................LED!

It the only good solution and a typical set is only about $40! put a set on my race tire trailer that is a small HF type, and I've never had on problem since the switch in 2 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Merrill View Post
    One comment about trailer lights................LED!

I agree, they last a very long time too. Some trailers are built cheap, you get what you pay for here too, and things like John's grounding issue are what you end up with. I have a Pace enclosed trailer for the purpose, which I'd HIGHLY recommend, but it's probably in the wrong price range.

Rick,

A few years ago I sold my pickup and got a more kid friendly car. I ended up getting a fold up trailer similar to the HF one from redtrailers.com. At the time, in my opinion, the redtrailer ones seemed a little better built than the HF ones (a little more money too). I bought the 5' x 8' model so I could easily haul baltic birch. I think that I also got an upgraded axle. It's a kit, you have to assemble it yourself, but it's not that hard. Had to outfit my wife's Blazer with a hitch, get it titled, etc but in the long run it was cheaper than keeping my pickup and paying insurance on it. I just fold it up and push it to the back of the garage for storage. I really don't have room to park a 3rd vehicle anyway.

I find it also acts as a natural filter for unnecessary wood "collecting". Since it's a bit of a pain to unfold, bolt it together, hitch up etc, you only buy wood and sheet goods when you really need to instead of buying wood just because you can. Given all the trade-offs this solution has worked out really well for me.

Finally, about the comment on the trailer lights. The frame being used as a ground with the paint and the hinge for folding is a joke. As John says, "fix" it right from the beginning. When I assembled mine, I just ran a dedicated ground wire to all the lights. So far I've had no issues.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. - Thomas Jefferson

Here's another type of folding trailer. Sears sells an identical one as well. I don't own one or know anyone who does, but they look cool.

I bought a 5'x8' Loadrite utility trailer for hauling sheet goods and other things. It was just under a grand...which is not inexpensive...but it also has a 2600 lb GVR rating/2100 lb payload rating which means I can use it to haul heavy stuff and even get my Kubota (sans the backhoe and loader) on it if it needs maintenance that I can't do myself.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think trailers are a bargain. My first was a cheap little 4 by 8 sheet metal rig that I used for over ten years and sold for what I bought it for new. It was so light I could pull it with the Subaru wagon we owned at the time.

My current trailer has a one ton capacity, it hauls my large mower, small Kubota tractor and lots of lumber/sheet goods. It gets used around the yard as well hauling limbs and other debris to the burn pit and other tasks. This one is a drive on style, no ramps required

If you have a vehicle that is capable of pulling a trailer they are handy to own and unlike cars and trucks trailers are easy on the family budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post

A friend has one of these and I never saw it until he delivered my old DeWalt RAS and I was really impressed for the price. I would buy one in a hearbeat if I was looking for an occasional use trailer.

I bought a 4x8 Snow Bear from Costco. When I got it home, I realized the lights didn't work anymore. While tracking down the lighting problem, I discovered the someone has engraved their driver's license on the frame, as in, it was not new (a fact that had not been revealed to me by the good folks at Costco). Upon further review, it became apparent that it had already been licensed by the original owner.

Back to Costo. Raised hell and got them to produce 3 things to make it right. New lighting, new license documentation and a return of 50% of what I'd paid for my new trailer.

Other than that first fateful day, this has been the best utility trailer I have ever owned (and the price was right).

I have a 5x8 utility trailer with a wood bed and expanded steel ramp that I really like. It has a 1500 lb capacity, which doesn't require title or license in Oregon. I used to have a folding 4x8 and found that it was way too flimsy for my tastes. The 5x8 doesn't weigh much more but rides a lot better, has a stiffer frame and has 12" wheels, so I can pull it at 70 mph with impunity. I've hauled pianos, engine blocks, motorcycles, lumber, and tools on it. The nice thing about the wood deck is that you can nail your load right to it, and it has low rails with tie hooks on it. The tongue folds on mine so I can stand it up against the wall of my garage if I want to. It takes a bit of muscle to do that, though. It probably weighs 300 pounds. I picked it up for $500 on Craigslist.
    Last edited by Josiah Bartlett; 01-04-2010 at 3:48 AM.