Thread: Beall Collet Chuck question

Beall Collet Chuck question

Having never owned a collet chuck before I don't know if this is a milling defect or the way it's supposed to be. The internal flange on the chuck is milled off-center. I know the flange is what holds the collet in place and think it might be off-center to allow easy removal of the collet.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

dave, i'll have to go out to the shop to look at mine; give me until tomorrow if you don't get someone else to answer, ok? i'm no machinist, but can tell you if mine looks the same.

Correct!

This is the way it's supposed to be. The flange is what releases the collet when it is loosened. Be sure to snap the collet into the nut before putting it into the chuck. You will ruin the collet and possibly the nut if you don't. These are standard ER collets so you can pick them up anywhere(read at better prices).
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 01-01-2010 at 4:30 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Thanks for the info. I picked up a full set of metric ER32 collets off of eBay and got the chuck for Christmas. It makes sense that it's machiined that way when I think about it, but it still looks odd.

Dave

glad to see someone knew about this - i certainly did not. can anyone post a source or two for 'cheaper' collets? thanks.

I got an 18 piece 3-20mm set off of eBay from seller "800watt" for about $65 including shipping. I lucked out as I was the only bidder on the set I bought. He currently has several other sets available. I bought the metric set because from what I have read you get a greater size range than the standard english set. The standard also skips a dimension in there somewhere leaving a gap. You can use the metrics to hold standard english dimension objects. The Beall chuck uses ER32 collets.

Dave

There are some 11pc inch ER32 sets for $33.90 & 19pc metric for $39.00 running now(on the Bay) from "onlineseller68"(HongKong). He has a very high feedback and ships as fast as some in the states. discount-tools dot com(US) has ER32 individual collets for $8.95@ & maritool dot com(US) has them for $14.51
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 01-01-2010 at 11:21 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

The only problem is that the shipping charges from onlineseller68 are as much or more than the collets. I was able to get a lower total price by checking watching several auctions and junping on one that had not been bid on.

Dave

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    There are some 11pc inch ER32 sets for $33.90 & 19pc metric for $39.00 running now(on the Bay) from "onlineseller68"(HongKong). He has a very high feedback and ships as fast as some in the states. discount-tools dot com(US) has ER32 individual collets for $8.95@ & maritool dot com(US) has them for $14.51
    tony this has nothing to do with the thread but I was trying to kill that dang bug on my screen.

Discount-tools now has the ER-32 collets on Ebay for $9.50, with free shipping in the USA.