Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do I need a web site?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    so I designed the look, but the webmaster did the hard work (links, tags, animations, maintenance, etc.).
    Design is the hard part, setting it up is not that difficult.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Brown View Post
    Design is the hard part, setting it up is not that difficult.
    I agree and disagree. A website can be as simple as HTML with a few graphics to dynamic database driven content using a Flash AS3 front-end with "AJAX" interaction and beyond. It is what you make of it. I would never go static because then it is purely a presence tool that doesn't gather valuable marketing information. But then design is difficult because while a pretty website can be easily made, it may not be intuitive and serve it's purpose. It's all subjective.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

If you do decide to go for a websites, here is my little opinion:

I strongly dislike badly designed websites with too many fonts, flashing or streaming text and fussy backgrounds. If it takes too long to open it better be jolly good for me to go back. I have a slow internet connection but, because of my relative isolation, I am a regular online shopper and buy most of my laser supplies as well as books, CD's, gifts etc online so don't aim just at first world customers with fast, reliable connections - sometimes we in the third world have no other options, if we want it, we have to buy it online!

I design and maintain a few sites so have a vague idea of my likes and dislikes

And most important, get someone else to visit the site and check it for errors, you will almost always have had an attack by the gremlins!

Carrol
    Last edited by Carrol Fleming; 01-05-2010 at 2:07 AM.
    Epilog Mini 24 45w; Photoshop, CoralDraw and just about anything else that will work for me!

Mozilla SeaMonkey will get you started. It incorporates the mozilla composer html editor. You can set up your site WYSIWYG, or directly edit the html and FileZilla is a great Free tool for uploading and managing your files on the site. Most free FTP programs are next to useless but this one is 'very' good
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Blog Entries
    If you're going to use Mozilla (FireFox), there are free seamless FTP plug-ins at http://addons.mozilla.com

Better than many pay-for FTP programs I've used...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Registering domain vs. hosting

What is the opinion of having your domain registered with a different company than the one that actually host your website - advantage or disadvantage?

Andy

Blog Entries
    One is irrelevant from the other unless registration is required by the hosting company... if that's the case, I'd find another company as they can hold you hostage at some point in time (jack up fees). My site is registered at Register.com, but I'm hosted by Jumpline (previously eMax). I have considered moving my registration to a cheaper place, but the savings is so small the money hasn't made it a priority on my to-do list... kind of tough to argue when you're already paying <$30/yr for registration.

I disagree. NEVER have your domain name registered with your hosting company. They can go bust; hold the name for ransom or mess it up in some other way.

Once you start, your domain name is your most precious online asset...all the rest can be replaced. But you're spending the advertising money to associate your services with the domain name. If somebody else has control of that, you're over a barrel.

My $0.02:

Domains: namecheap.com Also do $10 SSL certificates. I'm finding them better than mydomain.com for price and services at the moment.
    Hosting: http://www.1websiteshostingpromotions.com/ $10 a year and the limits are pretty reasonable. You get a proper cPanel and you don't have to count databases if you fancy trying extra toys out. $50/year for an IP address which you'll need for a SSL certificate which you'll need if you want a shop.

Software recommendations: If you're a beginner, use Fantastico in cPanel to install Wordpress if you just want an online presence. You never need to go near code and you have the added bonus that Wordpress is VERY Google-friendly. Add pages for a contact form, open times, a few pictures of your products and there you go. Should be doable in an evening for a complete novice.
    If you want a shop: don't attempt it if you're averse to code. Plan to spend a lot longer than you were originally estimating on the project.

Shopping Carts are a whole other beast! I dropped mine for 3 reasons.
    1. Too much time to maintain.
    2. Instead of using the shopping cart, 99% of customers called or emailed me.
    3. The cost of running credit cards/PayPal was not reasonable for the bit of business I do.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Blog Entries
    Darren,

Who are you disagreeing with?

What is the opinion of having your domain registered with a different company than the one that actually host your website - advantage or disadvantage?
    One is irrelevant from the other unless registration is required by the hosting company
    I was disagreeing with the above, as it would seem to imply that it doesn't matter if you have your domain registered with the people you're using for hosting. From personal experience, I would say that keeping your domain name separate from your hosting is one of the most important things you can do. OK, some of my worst experiences were back in the early days of the wild, wild, web and things are a little better now. But at the very least, it puts you in a better bargaining position with the hosting company when you can move without requiring permission from them.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I probably wasn't too clear. What I was saying is there was no reason to have them both with the same people as they are not tied to each other (i.e., irrelevant to each other).

I'm easily confused, so apologies for my misinterpretation.

In physical and functional terms; who your domains and hosting are registered with are entirely unimportant. It'll work the same wherever they are.

In a business and tactical sense, I can't stress enough the importance of keeping your domain and hosting separate. If you are building any kind of business through the web the domain name is how people find you out of the grillions of competitors. EVERY SINGLE PART of your internet setup can go wrong; and if you walk out of there with control of your domain name you can be back in the game an hour or two later. Albeit in a limited fashion. If someone else controls the domain, then all your efforts and time and money spent in marketing have been wasted. Worse- it goes to some other sod. Who will probably add insult to injury by just putting ads on your domain and reaping the click-through benefits. There is a whole industry devoted to this. Google "black hat marketing" for a clue (and don't try anything you see there to promote your own site...you can get delisted as well as getting more visitors in the short term).

...but I digress a bit. There are lots of things that can go wrong with a website: gouging/bankrupt/sold hosts; webdesigners going mental/blackmail; fraud; hacking; just to name a few. Keep control of your domain and you can recover. If someone else has it, you're stuffed.

14. etchya.com & etchya.net

I have 2 domains that I registered for my laser business that never quite got off the ground.

I think it's a pretty good and brandable name for the budding internet entrepreneur, better than Ponoko anyway

etchya.com has a tiki installation for boards just like sawmills but you could put just about anything you wanted to on it, assuming your host is cool with that.

I can help move stuff over and setup as well, would even consider hosting.

Sorry to offend anyone's sensibilities if this post did.

message me if you are interested.
    d

email is already setup as well using google apps,
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-02-2010 at 5:34 AM. Reason: removed link