Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Use A Ryobi Moisture Meter?

Anyone Use A Ryobi Moisture Meter?

I noticed that Home Depot now sells a moisture meter made by Ryobi for $50. I was wandering if anyone has one of these and if so, what do you think of it?

Thanks,
    John

Didn't know they made one. Can't find it on the HD site, but here it is on Ryobi's site:

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/ac..._tools/E49MM01

Here's a mention of it by the Wood magazine guys as part of a list of new Ridgid/Ryobi tools:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=163252927170

I failed to mention this is a pinless meter. It can also be used for measuring moisture content in walls.

John

For the money, and the fact that you can pretty much return ridgid/ryobi stuff for 90 days for any reason, if I had a friend with a good moisture meter, I'd buy one at the local HD just to test it out.

But I don't actually have many woodworking friends local to me.

I don't know anyone with a good meter, either. If I bought one, I would have to trust its readings as being accurate.

John

I might head up to home depot some time next week and see if I can buy one of these. I will compare its readings to my timber-check and post results.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schwartz View Post
    I might head up to home depot some time next week and see if I can buy one of these. I will compare its readings to my timber-check and post results.
    That would be great. Let us know what you find.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schwartz View Post

Man, I love this place...

You can actually do your own checking if you have a digital scale - this video shows the process pretty clearly http://www.viddler.com/explore/victo...orks/videos/5/

I tried to find a manual of the Ryobi to see if it dealt with different species of wood, but no luck at the Ryobi site.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Vabeach View Post
    I tried to find a manual of the Ryobi to see if it dealt with different species of wood, but no luck at the Ryobi site.
    The manual is linked to on the Ryobi page I posted above. The direct link is here:

http://www.ryobitools.com/product_ma...trilingual.pdf

The manual says it has 4 modes:

-Wall (for drywall)
    -Masonry
    -Hardwood
    -Softwood

Josh, thanks for the link to the manual - I looked in support and could not find it. Looking at the manual, I am guessing this won't be of much use to woodworkers - it seems more oriented to carpenters doing rehab of moisture damaged wood. The manual says its accuracy is plus or minus 3%, in contrast, the Electrophysics pinless models claim accuracy of 1% - the CT12 was rated by FWW as best value at $112. I haven't used one , but the FWW article said you would need a chart to determine the precise moisture content of a species, the Ryobi doesn't have a chart, I guess because that isn't the intended market.

The other thing to consider is that the Ryobi is only good for a depth of half an inch so you'd generally have to measure both sides of a board. For comparison, the Electrophysics ones start at 1", and Wagner ones are generally 3/4".

As a side note, does anyone else think the Electrophysics meters just scream "1950s"?

Thanks for the replies. At this point, I don't think I will run out and buy one just yet. Other thoughts on this are still welcome.

John

Chris, the Electrophysics scream Heath Technologies to me, IIRC the name of the company where you could buy electric meters and such either put together or as a kit.

15. I just read the specs on the Ryobi meter. My impression of this meter is that it's more for home inspection...checking for moisture in basements, attics, walls, crawl spaces. It measures 1/2" depth and it's only accurate to +/-3%. The "Caution" I saw in the manual states "These measurements are for reference only. Always consult a professional before beginning any repairs."

For me, the wood I use for guitar making needs to be in the 6-8% range. So a reading of 8% with this meter could be as high as 11% or as low as 5%. There are meters out there with 1% accuracy that are close to this price range. I would opt for one that has closer tolerence.

Here's a link with this one at the same price but +/-1% accuracy...I've seen it on Amazon for $40.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/sonin-di...ter-50218.html

My 2 cents.

Peace,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Crenshaw; 01-06-2010 at 3:40 PM.
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.