Thread: Gazebo/Shed

Gazebo/Shed

I am not sure if I should call it Gazebo or Shed, I use it as gazebo in the summer, as storage room for the winter.

I spent quite some time on the architecture design and structure design, the biggest concern is the winter here is so long and lots of snow, this drives rafter to 33.2 degree angled. I also take the challenge to do it as one man project, it is somehow different than if you get helper.

First thing is to pick up the location and draw the lines, as the fun of this project is the above ground construction, so I hired two guy to drill the holes for my sonotube.

fundation is pressure treated as it will be hidden anyway

I put oil on the underneath of the deck board to add extra protection, before it is installed. Since I have put gravels, it is pretty dry. I don't think any animals like to move in.

Turn back the deck board, and screwed into the fundation:

The wall is easy to build, but the roof is a big chanllenge, especially for one man to do it. I did some maths to calculate the lengh, angles before I put the wall up, it save me a lots effort to climb up and down.

now put the wall up then have the rafters on, the rafter is not an easy job:

next pictures looks funcy, but it is actually an easy job:

I never done shingle before, was hesitating if shall hire people to do. but think of installing the corpula later one and future maintenance, I bought fall arrest harness.

The gazebo is almost done. Some people told me I can stop here, it is a pretty gazebo. However, I like to add the function for the winter storage, I decide to move on.

Finished! I had done a lots detailed work, like the lattice panel, the one sold in homedepot and lowes are thin and narrow, I decides to build myself, it is 3/4" thick, strong and durable.

Thanks for every one who give me comments and suggestions during the construction peroid.

Nice job.

I just remodeled the bathroom and I thought that was a chore. Just the math on your structure would warp my artist brain. Hurts just thinking about it. Good looking job. I have a book titled "Retreats" your structure is a candidate for that book. Retreats are really the coming thing for a property. Cell phones and wireless internet make your building a great place to retreat and work without interruptions.

Zhi, Lovely gazebo. Very well designed and executed. You can be proud of it for years to come.

VERY nice - looks great.

Also - congratulations on the safety rig - very few homeowners would think to use one. Including me, I'm afraid.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    That is a really nice retreat! You mentioned long winters; where do you live?

I don't know what your background is but your ability to work out the math and proportion problems is pretty impressive. Framing this gazebo is something that would cause a journeyman carpenter to pause.

From what I can see in your pictures, your attention to the faming details is commendable, I always admire it when craftsmanship extends to the details nobody will ever see.

Very nice job. Did you have help lifting the roof structure up when you built the walls?

Wow and wow.. It looks really nice and lovely. Furthermore, the location of your place looks great. I find it so relaxing. Your gazebo project is something you should be proud of. Thanks for sharing some photos. Building a Gazebo also at my place was something I am looking forward to.

As an addition, Gazebos are freestanding or attached to a garden wall, roofed, and open on all sides; they provide shade, shelter, ornamental features in a landscape, and a place to rest. Some gazebos in public parks are large enough to serve as bandstands or rain shelters.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-30-2010 at 9:06 PM. Reason: Removed link to commercial web site - no traffic pushing permitted at SMC

Very well done

Quite a challenge and very very impressive.
    From the ground up and very secure. A craftmans
    type job.....

john
    Just an old guy learning new tricks
    Knoxville Tennessee

I like your window design. Are the hinge pins removeable? Do you take the windows out in the summer, or just swing them open? How do you keep them from banging into each other when they are opened?