Thread: Drill Press Chuck Recommendations

Drill Press Chuck Recommendations

I have a Delta drill press model 17-965 and am wondering if the group might have a recommendation for a good check replacement. I find the chuck that came with this drill press to be incredibly sub-par and I find that I avoid using it where possible as a result. It has a lot of runout (which I know I could try to get out -- again) but I also find it's grip on the bit to be sloppy and I have had it with trying to deal with it. I know there has to be better options out there.

Thanks in advance for your time
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Find a used Jacob's Super Chuck on eBay that appears to be in good shape. Jacob's made the best chucks out there, their more recent products aren't as good though as I believe they've cut costs and shipped a lot of the manufacturing to China.

No.10, Albrecht, no key needed, will out last the press.

My 17-965 DP came with a 5/8" Jacobs JT3. Far from sub-par IMO. Perhaps it's not the chuck..... You may want to check elsewhere before ditching the chuck. Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    No.10, Albrecht, no key needed, will out last the press.
    Ditto on the Albrecht. I am currently in the search for one for my PM1200!

I have an old Rockwell VS6/15-655 drill press with well-worn Jacobs 33C chuck.

I've been considering a new Albrecht chuck, but I've read that, for woodworking, using larger hole saws can cause the Albrecht chuck to "self-tighten" to the point where it becomes nearly impossible to open the chuck. Any truth to this statement?

Absolutely true and true with all keyless chucks.
    What to do? Use a non-marring strap wrench, (similar to old oil filter wrenches). Jacobs has the sweetest solution:
    A special spanner that can be used to tighten too, if desired.

8. Daytona

I love the Daytona I got from Craft Supplies http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Drill_Chucks___5_8__Precision_ Machined_Keyless_Chuck___heavy_keyless?Args=

Liked it enough to get another for my lathe. Quite a bit heavier duty than I was expecting, and it removed the crazy runout I had on my stock chuck.

I got a brand new Llambrich (made in Spain) keyless chuck on eBay, about $50 I think. I've been very happy with it. I use it with Forstners up to 2" and it doesn't tighten on me.

I went to Rockler and a few weeks ago and fiddled with Delta and Powermatics top of the line drill press models. Next time I will take a dial indicator and get scientific.

On the 17-959 I could get a seriously unacceptable amount of quill play. Enough to get a "knock knock" when stiff armed from front to rear. No split casting and there for no dedicated method to take out that slop. Put a $300 German chuck on it and you'll still get unacceptable performance if intended use is any thing more than a hasty hole poker. PM same results. I would be surprised if a Delta lower on the line up would be better than what I witnessed on the 17-959. Not a problem if your demands do not entail critical, high tolerance drilling.

A quick visit of the manual uncovered a failure to address taking out slop. I assume the engineers would say use the quill lock? All those fancy lasers to gain precision does nothing if the quill is bouncing around in the head.

That does not address your question of replacement chuck though. I'd support what other said, if you can identify a good low mileage German or US chuck, go for it for considerable savings. If not, don't compromise; get a new "USA" Jacobs or Rhoms / Albrecht.

If you want a real drilling machine do not hesitate to look at a USA manufactured drilling machine. Options are plentiful, and experience in using one can be joyous and surprising savings can be had. Resources are out there to talk you on target.
    Best,
    Jon
    San Diego