Thread: Sharpening

Sharpening

Does anyone own the "Jet Slow-Speed Wet Sarpener" It is less than half the price of a Tarmek. Is it any good? Do Tarmek jigs fit it? I'd use it mainly to sharpen wood lathe tools

Sharpening Question

I sharpen professionally (retired and needing some extra $$$). As I understand it the Tormek jigs work on the Jet. The difference is that the design of the Jet is older expired patent Tormek designs. So I have been told. So the other brands are a little older with some current modifications. That is not to disrespect the Jet in any way, just what I understand the situation to be. Many Jet owners love their units.

I am a turner as well, and I will say that most turners (at least all the ones in my AWW Chapter) do not like the wet sharpeners as they are too slow. I have a slow speed 1700 rpm grinder with a white stone set up for my Lacer skews, and the other side is set up for my Elsworth gouge. The Tormek and like kind jigs will not put an edge in the correct formula on either of those special tools. The Tormek style is 90 rpms and though it works wonderful in many situations, if you need to sharpen for a new edge, not hone, you can be at it for an hour or more. Just putting the the same edge on the tool is fast enough, but not reshaping. For that reason Tormek developed a new stand for their universal tool rest to work with a standard slow speed dry grinder. That is about $50. plus all the jigs work with it.

I have one of about every sharpening device made. In fact I got my first Tormek from another turner for $200, he hated it so much. From what I know about turners, you may want to consider a good 2 speed dry grinder. If you use the Lacer skew get the Veritas jig from Lee Valley, or Packard. The Elsworth jig from Elsworth, Packard, Or??? If you have other needs and want to spend piles of cash, buy what ever you want, I am just relating my experience. BTW I really like my Tormek -- I have two of them now.
    Hope that helps a bit.
    Phil B.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Bogle View Post
    ...I have a slow speed 1700 rpm grinder with a white stone set up for my Lacer skews, and the other side is set up for my Elsworth gouge. The Tormek and like kind jigs will not put an edge in the correct formula on either of those special tools.
    Phil B.
    Phil,

While it cannot accommodate the largest Lacer skew, the SVS-50 can reproduce Lacer's profile on any other skew.

The SVD-185 can faithfully reproduce the Ellsworth grind. Here's a link to a page with the recipe. http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories...n_chart_en.pdf
    Jeff Farris

I use a variable speed Delta grinder with a white wheel.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

A salesman at Rockler told me that the Jet is a piece of junk, he gets them returned all the time, etc, etc.

Paul, I have the jet sharpener...the unit itself is great but the accessories are junk. I bought the tormek accessories ( jigs ) and this works great.
    my dad has the tormek unit and I cant tell any difference in the quality, except for jigs....I also turn and sharpen my turning tools with this unit and it will sharpen a tool as fast as a grinder if the tool allready has the correct profile. I would buy it again
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

+1 to David's post. I love my Jet sharpener, but hate the jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    A salesman at Rockler told me that the Jet is a piece of junk, he gets them returned all the time, etc, etc.
    The guys at my Rockler told me that they liked the jet sharpener but not the jigs. It works well for me. I also have some jet and some tormek jigs. I don't have a problem with any of my jigs... but I do take my time sharpening.
    Gary

Get the Tormek. If you can get to both units, grab the Jet bar and give it a shake. Try it with the Tormek. There is a world of difference. The Tormek is far stronger. Stronger is more stable. Less deflection.

Used both, jet is POS replaced by a tormek much better.

Grizzly has a version as well, $189.95 for the 10" version. I got one for Christmas and found that the jigs and bar were nice but mine came with a bent shaft. I should be getting a replacement grinder from them tomorrow. It is made in Germany and was a nice unit other than the problem. I think mine got handled roughly in shipment.

I sharpen my lathe tools on a belt sander.

Update: I got my replacement today and the shaft and stone run true, although the strop wheel has a plastic hub and wobbles side to side a bit. I don't think that will matter.
    Last edited by Josiah Bartlett; 01-04-2010 at 6:16 PM.

I sharpen my lathe tools on a Woodcraft slow speed bench grinder and Wolverine jigs.