Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodcraft Groz planes - A Good Deal?

Woodcraft Groz planes - A Good Deal?

Are the Groz planes that Woodcraft has on sale any good? THe link is here: woodcraft.com/Tab/003.aspx These planes are about 1/2 the price of Stanley planes, are they any good? Pleasepost experience/advice.

Thanks,

Bob
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-03-2010 at 9:06 PM.

Groz, Kunz (that green cheap ones, not their premo line), Anant, Stanley (regular production plane line) and other cheap planes aren't good. You'll have to spend a lot of time tuning them before you can actually make them to work like they should and even then, overall quality isn't all that great. If you are looking to spend 20 to 30 bucks, look around to get a vintage Stanley, Record, Miller Falls, Sargeant, or Union. They are around at flea market, online auction, tool dealers and so on. You may have to tune them up, but once they are tuned, they will work nicely.

Do they work? Yes, if you're up to the challenge and have the time to tune them up.

Will they work as good as a vintage Stanley? Maybe.

If you have the money, skip the Groz and get a Lie-Nielsen or Veritas plane.

If you're looking at the Groz planes, because you're curious about whether you want to work with planes and hand tools . . . I started with a Groz No. 5 and spent a lot of time and effort to get it to work. It's okay for carpentry kind of stuff, but not that great for fine woodworking. If you've got the tenacity and time to mess with these things, you may eventually get them to work okay. But there's a strong possibility they'll just frustrate you. If you don't have a lot of money to put toward getting some planes, then go to the Classified forum and see if anyone here has a vintage Stanley (or Millers Falls, Sargent, etc) that they've rebuilt and would sell you.
    Last edited by Michael Faurot; 01-04-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    Bob,

I am not too familiar with the yard sale and flea market scene around Santa Cruz, but you can probably do a lot better with a used Stanley, Sargent, Miller's Falls or Union plane. There are also many others that were made by these makers that were private branded like Keen Kutter and Winchester.

Check out the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs for information on what to look for and what to do with a plane to make it perform as well as it can.

Scroll down to "#7 Rehabbing old tools" in the first link. Bob Smalser and myself have provided a lot of information for someone who wants to restore old tools.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

These are the only effective inexpensive planes that I have found. Lee Valley has them too.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept....&dept_id=13602

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    I belive Christopher Swarz said in answering someone that wanted an inexpensive plane that worked as well as the far more expenisve ones - "I believe you can get those at the same store that sells Unicorns that fart cupcakes"

I've been down this road too and learned a valuable lesson. Save and get the Veritas or LN. No tuning up except for honing the blade and you'll be happy with a high quality plane long after the money is forgotten. I'd even go so far as to recommend the LV bevel up smoother and spring for a 38 degree blade too. Then, with a decent block plane, you'll have a setup that will go most of the way toward everything you need them to.
    Last edited by Don Dorn; 01-03-2010 at 3:48 PM.

7. What Sam said above. Don't confuse yourself looking at Groz.

Cheap is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    Are the Groz planes that Woodcraft has on sale any good? THe link is here: woodcraft.com/Tab/003.aspx These planes are about 1/2 the price of Stanley planes, are they any good? Pleasepost experience/advice.

Thanks,

Bob
    As someone mentioned above, the modern Stanley Bailey line (not to be confused with the premium "sweet hart" line) isn't very good even though they are twice as much as the bargain basement brands. I bought the No. 3 equivalent "contractor grade" Stanley a few years ago. I got it work ok after a lot of work. However, deficiencies in the machining on the frog and corresponding surfaces on the base would prevent it from ever being a really good plane.

I do like my vintage Stanleys quite a bit.

Jim
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-03-2010 at 9:08 PM.

I rather get a good Stanley type 10/11/12 and a Hock blade (if needed) than the WoodRiver, Groz, or new Stanley premium SW. The next step up would be a Veritas/LN. You can make the Groz work...it just take some elbow grease. In addition, you'll probably hate it every time to have to deal with sloppy adjustments. Finally, when you hate it enough to sell it, you'll probably lose 50% of what you paid for.

I agree with Brian Kent. The Groz may look appealing because they are currently on sale at Woodcraft, but if you are interested in hand planes and have a budget that fits the Groz price range, I think you would be much happier with the Mujingfang planes from Japan Woodworker http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=13602,

or Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...182,41187&ap=1.

Ok, I will go against the grain on this one.

I have one and it seems to work well. It is a very usable plane. BUT......I will add I have never used a premium plane. I am sure a premium plane is well worth the extra $$$$ Will not argue that point. But that does not make the less expensive planes unusable. Just maybe a little harder to get where your going.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Faurot View Post
    Do they work? Yes, if you're up to the challenge and have the time to tune them up.
    I found this to be true as well. I own one. It'll stay that way I believe.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree about the Groz planes but I was at Woodcraft today and spent some time looking at the WoodRiver bench planes. They seem to be well made copies of the Stanley flat sided Bedrock planes. I'll probably buy one just to see if it works as good as it looks. The good points, just from handling the planes, are that the planes are heavy, have the Bedrock frog mounting, a thick iron, and the tote fit into my hand well. Unless there's some hidden problems I didn't see, I expect it will perform as well and any Stanley Bailey plane, and perhaps as well as a Bedrock plane. According to the owner, who I know and who has always been very honest with me, they're selling a bunch of the WoodRiver planes and people seem satisfied - they aren't getting returns.

The #3 plane that I'm interested in was only $110, a lot cheaper than I could buy a vintage flat sided 603 Bedrock.

Mike

[Incidently, that Woodcraft (Stanton, CA) has been selected as one of very few stores in the US which will be selling Lie Nielsen planes for the upcoming year.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-03-2010 at 11:38 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    [Incidently, that Woodcraft (Stanton, CA) has been selected as one of very few stores in the US which will be selling Lie Nielsen planes for the upcoming year.]
    This whole drama in the woodworking world confuses me. 2 months ago I went to a Woodcraft class and wanted to buy a smoothing plane, but they didn't have LN. The instructor told me about LN and WC having a court battle and how LN was an honorable company and WC pretty much tried to screw LN.

I have 4 LN planes and a DT saw. I don't think I will buy any tool that LN makes from a different company. Now I hear that some WC stores are going to still sell LN? I'm confused. You get a 10 percent discount when taking a class at WC, and LN would be included in this, but they don't sell them at the store in my area. I hate business drama.

I bought a Groz plane and took it back the next day. The thing was an absolute train wreck. You could save a heck of a lot of money by buying an old Stanley from an antique dealer and working on that instead of wasting money on a new Groz that requires ridiculous work to tune up.