Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a shop be too big? 25'x50' shop recomendations

Can a shop be too big? 25'x50' shop recomendations

Hello all,

I have recently been given the opportunity to move my shop into a warehouse space that is 25'x50'. Does anyone have a shop layout for a similar sized space. I will be moving from a very cramped 13'x30' space. In addition to the main space there is a spray room (the space used to be an old autobody shop). I prefer to build larger projects and casework so being able to manage sheet good efficiently is a must.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Yeah, that would be way too big, right up until you got enough tools to fill it up. Then it would be too small. Sounds like a great situation, especially if you can use the spray booth. Just keep in mind that the filters can be a mess to clean/replace. Oh, and put your speakers on the short wall. That's the perfect ratio of length to width for the best bass response. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Can a shop be too big? HA!

NO!

Well... yes it can because you have to heat it. Walk too far 20 times a day and it's too big. 25 x 50 isn't too big. Being able to run a 10 footer through a machine requires an open door or 20+ feet.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Being too big is like having all the tools you'll ever need never gonna happen.......no how........no way. Sorta like havin "extra" money...what's that???????? Ya got any extra, PM me and I'll tell you where to send it.

It's kinda like saying "I have too much time for woodworking" or "Ihave too many clamps". I do agree that it will seem to big until you get all your tools, benches, lumber racks and storage situated. But from there, I think you will find that you could always use a little more space.

I wish I could triple my shop space, but then, I'd squawk cuz I'd have 3 times the mess!

John
    ...And now, back to your regularly scheduled shop time...

I suppose that it is theoretically possible for a shop to be too big. Right up there with the Cubs winning the World Series.

It never ceases to amaze me that a project will always expand to require more tools than I have with me (another! trip to the shop) or that I do not own, and at least 10% more space than what is available.

Enjoy the elbow room. You'll soon find yourself trying to figure out how you ever accomplished anything in your old space.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Never, unless you can no longer afford utilities.

From '85-98 my shop was 30x50'. When we retired and moved to the country in '98, the new shop was built just 10' bigger each way. Now even the 40x60' is not too big, but just right!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Oh, you're serious......I would love to have that space......
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

And here they always said "There's no such thing as a stupid question"

A shop could be too big if it develops an adverse microclimate

Too big? No way. Actually, having a 24' wide shop, I can speak from experience and say that 25' is NOT too wide, if anything a little narrow.

Nope, barring utility bills being cost inefficient, it isn't close to being too big. I think you will find it comfortable.

JUMP ON IT!!!!!!!!!!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Mine is 25' x 53' and 24' x 60'. Yes, 2 shops. Both are side by side. And......not enough space.

But I run a business.

I have close to that same size, it is filled, and I want 2X more. I want seperate dc room and a dedicated spray booth. Extra wood storage and better layout. In floor ductwork and a gantry if we are dreaming. And I just play in the evenings and on weekends. Its all fun!

Enjoy it!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

once i get my basement under control that is about what I will have is 25 x 50. I am a poor boy and that still is not gonna be enough space. Not that I could fill it right now but ith will not take long. As soon as i get enough experience I am going to build the wife a new set of cabinets for the kitchen and fresh woodwork all over the house and a wide open setup place will be nice... good luck and letter r rip, potato chip.

15. That might be a nice problem to have!

If it gets to be just too much for you to handle you can always find another wood worker to share the space with. On second thought, that might be akin to having two cooks (mother-in-law and wife) in the same kitchen.