Thread: Some final J/P investigating

Blog Entries

Some final J/P investigating

Hey guys....Happy Sunday! I enjoyed a Creeker visit with Curt Harms yesterday to check out his Jet 12" jointer/planer combination machine and I am wrapping up some details before I "pull the trigger" as they say on the purchase. In my situation, I am going to need the machine on a mobile base and it looks as though HTC might have one that fits. I am not talking about one of the universal bases. They are bolted together and to be honest, I am not putting a ton of faith into a bolted together mobile base that is going to have a 500 pound machine setting on top of it. I am looking at one of their dedicated welded bases. Has anyone gotten one of these (or another well made - dedicated mobile bases for one of these Jet machines? From their website, it appears that they may have one that will work, I am giving them a shout tomorrow via the phone. But I thought I would check with the SMC population on this snowy day here in central NJ.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

I obviously haven't use the welded HTC base specific to that machine, but have owned several of them for other Jet tools back when I had my Jet tools. They were excellent bases...well made, heavy duty and even nice looking.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fred,
    There was a post about 8 months ago were folks discussed using stem mounted casters directly bolted to the bottom of the Jet JJP-12 base using the holes that held the machine to the crate during shipping. It was part of a rather lengthy post on the JJP-12.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

i am not a fan of the htc bases i preffer the jet or sf bases as for weight i have a 900# sander on a sf base and a 900# jointer on a jet base they move very easy and i like the locking features on them better then htc

Guy, the one Jet-branded base I owned was made by HTC...

Jeff, thanks for bringing up the Zambus or similar casters. They are a good option for this kind of tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    Fred,
    There was a post about 8 months ago were folks discussed using stem mounted casters directly bolted to the bottom of the Jet JJP-12 base using the holes that held the machine to the crate during shipping. It was part of a rather lengthy post on the JJP-12.

-Jeff
    Jeff, I will have to try to track that thread down. I spoke to Jet today and I was told that they do not have a specific base for that j/p combo machine. I did get the dimensions off of them though. I then called HTC and asked about a specific mobile base for the Jet J/P and was told no, they didn't have one. They had one close to the size, but short on the dimensions. They did tell me that they had a universal base that would size to what I needed - and it would hold up to 700 pounds, but I have to say, I would rather try to stay away from the bases that are bolted together for something as heavy as what I am looking to mount this time! Worst comes to worst, I might have to go with it....though I will exhaust my options. I definitely need the J/P machine to be mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees View Post
    I definitely need the J/P machine to be mobile.
    I have the JJP-12HH on Great Lakes casters. They install easily in the existing holes at the bottom of the base, and the machine is very stable. If I push hard against the top of machine there is a little "give" but the machine itself doesn't budge.

Mobility is great once the pads are raised, but it's not as quick as the typical foot levers like you find on a conventional mobile base. You have to get down on the floor and turn each wheel by hand. I don't have too much difficulty with it, but many people prefer the Woodcraft casters since there is more room for your fingers. The Woodcraft ones are $100 for a set of 4, vs. $70 for the Great Lakes ones.

I plan to move my machine only once in a blue moon, so I can live with the procedure taking a few minutes. If you need to move the machine every time you want to mill some lumber, you'd be better off with a conventional base. If you're not comfortable with the universal ones holding the weight (you're definitely getting close to the limit), that means having one custom built (expensive) or building one yourself (time consuming). No easy answers, as usual.

One option would be to get the HTC base and take it to a local welding shop and have it welded together. I've had good luck with small jobs like this, they often do it while I wait and I've paid less than $25.00 for the small amount of welding involved.

My JJP-12 is on a mobile base

I have that J/P on one of these bases:
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...obilebase.aspx

I drilled extra holes through the corner pieces that line up with the holes in the base of the J/P and bolted it down. The plywood is not carrying any weight - it is all on the steel. It is plenty solid. I roll mine out of the way any time it is not in use.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Gonzalez; 01-05-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Footmaster makes a ratcheting caster that works really well for avoiding the amount of time spent kneeling to adjust the standard Zambus/GLC type. A little $more$ but not that much more than a mobille base will cost you plus you get 360 degree steering and a nice smooth ride. I've got a set under my Hammer J/P and couldn't be happier with them,
    http://www.clevelandcaster.com/produ...6&idcategory=3
    Use the fence Luke

Smile Check this thread . . .

Support the "CREEK" . . .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gonzalez View Post
    I have that J/P on one of these bases:
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...obilebase.aspx

I drilled extra holes through the corner pieces that line up with the holes in the base of the J/P and bolted it down. The plywood is not carrying any weight - it is all on the steel. It is plenty solid. I roll mine out of the way any time it is not in use.

Richard
    Rich,, sent you a PM.

Just as another option.. I made a mobile base for my 800 lb planer.

It was made of 2x4 (using the 1.5" side).. in a square "8" pattern (like the "8" on a calculator).. Pocket screwed and dominoed together. Put a piece of 3/4" plywood on top. Hartville casters (4") on the bottom. Works great.
    I think the Casters were roughly $50, and the wood was all scraps.

I actually like it better than the conventional 3 wheel metal mobile bases. Much easier to turn.