Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 18th century curly maple secretary

1. Stunning, did you use a specific set of plans? I'd like to know and believe I could tackle a project like this sometime as my capabilities improve.

Lou --

Beautiful - a master craftsman you are....
    The wood is spectacular and you make it speak out - wonderful!!

Please do tell us your source of wood and the finish........

That is a beautiful piece!! There is nothing prettier than curly maple on a piece like that!! Great work.

Somebody come get my tools. I can't compete with this.

Lou, OUTSTANDING work!!! Good choice of materials, great attention to detail, lots of patience and a HEIRLOOM quality result!!! Be proud,,,Great work!!!
    Jerry

What can I add that others have not said!
    Beautiful masterpiece! well done in all aspects.

That is really impressive. Congratulations!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That certainly is a beauty. Superior work. It so well done I don't know what more to say.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Lou,

Great secretary, always great to see your work. Stunning use of tiger maple. What's up next? Cal

Wow -- that is simply amazing work!! Congrats!! How many hours did this piece take to complete? The wood and finish is amazing!!

Scot

I think the little 1x ?? whatever " with the single knobs in them are slide out support rails for the desktop ....

Great work sir. great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Murphy View Post
    Stunning! I can see countless hours in all the gallery details.

Paul and others

this is the hard part of the piece- the rest is just plug and chug- lots of hand cut dovetails on the cases ( upper and lower). all the drawers are hand cut DT's

the drawer runners are also sliding dovetails and they are fussy. The feet are so so hard - do a few and they are not that bad. cut the curves on the table saw - you know the drill

thanks

lou

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Good gosh, Lou!!!! That is phenomenal!

I recall that you used Moser dye (Honey Maple Amber??) on a CM piece one time - is this the same?

I agree that this is heirloom quality, and as good as anything I have seen in FWW.

my recipe for tiger is this

1. dye with 50/50 mixture of honey maple and amber maple dye
    2. sand back everything once with 220 grit
    3. dye it again with the same 50/50 mixture
    4. oil with BLO and some turps - I like turps better and Mineral spirits - add some japan dryer
    5. 2 coats of orange shellac
    6. sand back smooth
    7. several coats of nitro-cellulose
    8. sand between coats
    9. 0000 steel wool and wax

enjoy
    lou

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate View Post
    Very nice Lou, I see you are still doing the finest of work. Did you cut and dry the wood?

take care
    Ben
    hi Ben

this batch came from a nice farm in bimmington (sp) ny. (Do you mean Binghamton, NY Lou?) they did the cutting and I did the drying. still have tons of it left - just waiting for some more projects

best wishes

lou
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 01-15-2010 at 6:42 AM. Reason: Trying to help

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Snyder View Post
    Stunning, did you use a specific set of plans? I'd like to know and believe I could tackle a project like this sometime as my capabilities improve.

hi tom
    I usually do all of my own plans for pieces from photos from books. but this time I used some plans in FWW- what a mess! there were several mistakes in those plans ( no need to bash the guy who made the plans - we all make mistakes, but some of these were real doozies ) which caused me a real pain! never again will i use someone else's plans.

you are better off doing your own full size plans for complicate pieces like this.

can you make a piece like this? no problem. just take your time and you will get there. do some smaller pieces first to gain confidence and you should be fine.

the one advantage I have is my wide belt sander that makes processing highly figured wood and especially real thin stuff like in the gallery, with much ease. sure you can try other methods, but tear-out on big panels really gets costly and makes one quite upset.

best wishes
    lou