Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe not a gloat - used RAS in the shop - pics

Maybe not a gloat - used RAS in the shop - pics

Picked up a used RAS today. I know many RASs go cheap so this may not be a gloat but I am happy! Posted this at woodnet too so sorry for the dual info for dup members.

Sold a Craftsman RAS 2006 in hopes I would somday find a big Delta. One turned up pretty close to me so I took the plunge.

Delta 33-410 16" 3hp single phase. I am $1200 lighter but I am very happy and the guy delivered it today from 44 miles away (for $20 for gas ). Had to assemble the arm to the post so I took the time to clean everything up and wax all the CI.

For a new blade I ordered the 16" WWI as it is only $80 at amazon. Woodnet guys have some great advice on blades to so I will explore those as well. The RAS came with a 16" Freud cabinetmaker blade (not sure of series) so I will send that in for resharpening. So with the WWI, can I have it reground at forrest to Mr Sawdust specs or am I stuck with what I ordered??

I am not sure I have the table/fence together in the right order but I was tired and came inside to put Megan to bed (putting kitchen stuff away, stories, and pretend monkey and snake wrangling were the tasks before bed). I will get online and get the manual.

I am missing the leaf guards. If anyone sees some and they do not need them could you let me know please?? They are another of Delta's premium price replacement parts!

I do have a 12" chopmaster as well with my Hitachi saw. The head on the Delta moves all the way down so I can pretty much use any size blade I guess. Is the chopmaster a good blade for a RAS too - I thought it was a miter saw blade?

I need to get my dado stack drilled for 1" I guess. Can I have a SD208 Freud dado stack drilled to 1"?

I powered the Delta up to test it out but I need to attach the LVC to the saw again and rewire the power switch back into the back of the LVC. I love how quick the motor stops!

Here are my proof pics. Soda can for sizing but many guys have BIG RASs too so I am just in good comapny I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Wow .. Mike that saw is in fantastic shape... It looks nearly new..

16" .. That is a monster.. lol.. What is the depth capacity of a saw like that?

I think a new RAS like that is what ? $8K.. I would call that a gloat ..

I know you can get used RAS's for less.. but they are much less saw.. That is amazing.. Huge.. lol..

great looking old saw. What is the cutting capacity anyways? Looks like over 32"

That looks like a great saw. Considering the retail price, you didn't do too bad. I have the 12" version and would love to find a reasonably priced 16 for the additional crosscut capacity.

Delta says 29" on crosscut although I am measuring 33" at 3/4" - Not sure what depth at 29" they spec out. Ever since seeing one in person I knew I wanted a 14" or larger with that crosscut arm.

Another thing to love is this machine is designed to be run a TON and everthing wearable is replaceable. The CI in it is ample too.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

One RAS guy to another....WAY TO GO!!!

Rick Potter

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Wow, that is a monster!
    Congrats!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

great saw.... i have its little brother 12" model. very nice, but your 16" saw is really a very heavy duty saw. many do not appreciate the RAS, but good ones are great at cross-cutting and cross dadoing

BTW - that is a $5000.00 saw new, so you did good

best wishes

lou

Mike, Really NICE RAS! And Single-Phase to boot! Hard to find! Looks clean enough to eat off if! Thats the newer model with the even longer arm! You did well! Enjoy!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I think ya done good!

Last month, our local community college had a saw like that, but not quite as good a condition. Plus it was three-phase. On the other hand, it was only $300. I kinda regret passing on it.

Mike, that's a gloat if ever there was one. Saw looks little used and just out of curiousity I looked to see what a new one cost- $5300+ at Tools Plus ............... ya did good.
    Last edited by John Callahan; 01-04-2010 at 2:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post

I do have a 12" chopmaster as well with my Hitachi saw. The head on the Delta moves all the way down so I can pretty much use any size blade I guess. Is the chopmaster a good blade for a RAS too - I thought it was a miter saw blade?
    yeah, i use a chopmaster blade on my RAS.

the only difference is a negative angle on the setting of the teeth. table saw blades have a positive angle, since you're pushing into the blade (/). miter blade/radial arm blade teeth are set at a negative angle (\), so that the blade doesn't grab and pull toward you, since you're moving the blade instead of the board.

Nice saw Mike. Looks like a great find. I'm using blades from the folks at Wolfe Machinery that I like quite a bit on my 14" RAS. They have a negative rake angle that minimizes climbing and are some of the quietest blades I have used on start up and spin down, as well as in use, due to some reliefs milled into the blade apparently to deal specifically with the whine sometimes associated with big RAS's. The kerf is pushing 3/16", and the plate is rather thick which adds good stiffness. I don't remember the name of the brand and its not indicated on the blade, but they have worked great.

Enjoy that tool.

I also just bought the exact same saw but mine isn't in nearly as good condition. I need a couple of parts including new bearings I think. Since I only paid $225 I can't complain. If anyone knows a good source for this saws bearings please let me know. I will post a few pictures including one of the bearings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You probably know that with the extra arm,that is a UNIVERSAL RAS.