Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HF DC Coupon - Need Help - Please Read

The Feb 2010 Kiplingers personal finance magazine has a 20% off coupon in it (pg 47) The coupon is good thru 5/5/10 so it would be worth your while to pick up the magazine on the news stand
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gaskins View Post
    How is your HF dust collector going? Are you using the Wein (sp) filters? I am looking for the lest expensive way to collect dust for my garage. I currently have nothing. Is the HF really good enough or should I pass and go with one of the big names???
    I have the HF 2Hp DC, fitted with the Wynn canister filter and a Thien separator. It is every bit as effective as a friends Delta 50-760.

The least expensive way to collect your dust is to to a HF DC, with a Thien or similar pre separator, then run the DC itself outside the working area and blow the fines out the door... However this removes a LOT of conditioned air...

The next cheapest route is to do the same, but replace the stock filter bag with a 1 micron bag from Highland Hardware (about $30.00). The extra $$ for the Wynn 35A cartridges are worth it though, they really do help with airflow performance as well as filtration.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    The Feb 2010 Kiplingers personal finance magazine has a 20% off coupon in it (pg 47) The coupon is good thru 5/5/10 so it would be worth your while to pick up the magazine on the news stand
    Dennis
    Thanks for the headsup. I pick one up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    I have the HF 2Hp DC, fitted with the Wynn canister filter and a Thien separator. It is every bit as effective as a friends Delta 50-760.

The least expensive way to collect your dust is to to a HF DC, with a Thien or similar pre separator, then run the DC itself outside the working area and blow the fines out the door... However this removes a LOT of conditioned air...

The next cheapest route is to do the same, but replace the stock filter bag with a 1 micron bag from Highland Hardware (about $30.00). The extra $$ for the Wynn 35A cartridges are worth it though, they really do help with airflow performance as well as filtration.

Thanks for the reply. I did a search today on HF dust collector modifications and found some good information and they all used the Wynn filters and Thein baffle. I will keep my eyes open at HF and get one on sale with the coupon. I was also going to get a 3m 7500 series half mask respirator with p100 filters to help protect with fine dust until I can afford to get a Air Cleaner. I would make an air cleaner myself but I suck at electrical stuff. About the only thing I can do as for electrical is plug in an EXTENSION CORD !

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post

Can you tell me which Wynn filter you have. With the Thein separator, do you buy it or build it? How much did it cost youto build/bguy? Im making a list of stuff I need and putting down a cost for each so I know how much to save up.

I have one if someone needs it

I just noticed this thread, I think I still have this coupon at home if someone is intersted. When I bought my DC they just scanned it from my magazine but they did not take it.

Greg

Edit: someone PM'ed me last night so my coupon is on its way to the east coast.
    Last edited by Greg Wittler; 01-09-2010 at 6:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gaskins View Post
    Can you tell me which Wynn filter you have. With the Thein separator, do you buy it or build it? How much did it cost youto build/bguy? Im making a list of stuff I need and putting down a cost for each so I know how much to save up.
    Sorry, hope I am not butting in,

The Wynn 35A Filer is $150.00 shipping would depend on where you live. Since I am in San Jose Ca it is zone 3 from LA, so mine would be $18.00.

I believe you have to build a Thien separator (I don't think there is one for sale) the correct lids are available at Woodcraft (and probably other stores). I believe they are around $20 for the 5 gallon and just under $30 for the 30 gallon. I am thinking of adding a Super Dust Deputy to my HF DC as I have one $100 Amazon Gift Certificate burning a hole in my wallet. I will post pictures if I ever get it built. I am also planning to build a 5 gallon Thien Separator for my Shop Vac.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wittler View Post
    Sorry, hope I am not butting in,

The Wynn 35A Filer is $150.00 shipping would depend on where you live. Since I am in San Jose Ca it is zone 3 from LA, so mine would be $18.00.

I believe you have to build a Thien separator (I don't think there is one for sale) the correct lids are available at Woodcraft (and probably other stores). I believe they are around $20 for the 5 gallon and just under $30 for the 30 gallon. I am thinking of adding a Super Dust Deputy to my HF DC as I have one $100 Amazon Gift Certificate burning a hole in my wallet. I will post pictures if I ever get it built. I am also planning to build a 5 gallon Thien Separator for my Shop Vac.

Greg

$150 . Almost need to get the DC for free so you can afford the Wynn filter. Is there really that much of a difference between the Wynn and an ordinary 1 micron bag from anywhere else?

Has anyone had trouble getting them to take the printed out coupon?

I'm probably too late in responding, but no they didn't bat an eye at my printed out coupons when I tried it. Given that you can get the magazine online and then you are getting the ad on line, (and that they email out coupons as was already mentioned) it would seem unlikely that they wouldn't accept it. On the other hand, I'm sure that stores like this (and HD and Lowes) aren't always consistent. By the way, I'll add that my printer wasn't working well, so it wasn't even a good copy, but again they didn't care.

Matt Schnurbusch Guest

March 2010 Wood

March 2010 Magazine has the same 139.99 coupon in it for the 2HP DC.