Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New blast gates with automatic cyclone start

New blast gates with automatic cyclone start

I spent the weekend fine-tuning my shop-made blast gate design and installing a couple of them. I also got seriously tired of hunting down the remote for my cyclone, so I removed the wireless system and replaced it with a wired remote controlled by magnetic proximity switches. So much nicer.

Attached Images Attached Images

Great idea. I've got microswitches on mine but I've damaged one due to getting snagged on the lever.

Any problem with dust buildup preventing the gates from closing properly?
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Wigginton View Post
    Any problem with dust buildup preventing the gates from closing properly?
    None at all, the internal design has (so far) kept any buildup at all from occurring. I've had one in operation for several months, I recently checked it and it's clean as a whistle.

Once I'm satisfied with the design, I'll be posting plans for them on my website.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Holmes View Post
    None at all, the internal design has (so far) kept any buildup at all from occurring. I've had one in operation for several months, I recently checked it and it's clean as a whistle.

Once I'm satisfied with the design, I'll be posting plans for them on my website.
    Cliff - that's a clean looking setup. I like your ventilated box for the bell transformer - I would never have thought of that

Keep us posted on your plans for the blast gates. I'm going to be in full dc implementation mode in a couple of months and am collecting ideas at the moment.

Cheers,
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Cobb View Post
    I like your ventilated box for the bell transformer
    Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to enclose the guts without building some elaborate enclosure. I wanted to be able to see inside and have easy access. I just happened to have some of these boxes lying around, I got them from Walmart a while ago for parts storage. The lid just snaps on.

The hard part was drilling the vent holes, the plastic is very brittle. I'm not even sure if they're necessary, I ran the system completely enclosed for an hour or so and the temp rose only 10 degrees.

Some of those plastics get real brittle. Any worries about the vent holes on top? Maybe put a filter there?
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I'm just gonna see how it goes. If serious dust starts collecting in there, then I'll worry about it.

This system must be way better than using a remote since you have to reach for the gate to open it anyway. Good idea.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to come up with it. The hard part was finding the right switches, they're "backwards" from normal alarm system switches. And much more expensive.

I just don't get the idea of having to open and close a blast gate to operate the DC. I generally run one machine at the time. When I go to a second, I close gate to the first. When any of my machines start up, current sensor in panel box starts DC. When machine stops, DC cuts off ten seconds later. This allows for clearing of the pipes. One leg of all my machine circuits (110, or 220) pass through current sensor. I use "multi-wire branch circuits. At each location are two 110 recpts. and one 220 recpt. The left 110 recpt is always the one that operates DC, along with the 220 recpt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Cobb View Post
    Cliff - that's a clean looking setup. I like your ventilated box for the bell transformer - I would never have thought of that

Keep us posted on your plans for the blast gates. I'm going to be in full dc implementation mode in a couple of months and am collecting ideas at the moment.

Cheers,
    Lewis
    What is the purpose of the bell transformer?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    When any of my machines start up, current sensor in panel box starts DC
    I considered using a current sensor, but I don't like the fact that it's tied to the machine and required a dedicated machine circuit. For example, my SCMS is merely plugged into a wall socket, for a CS to work I'd need a separate circuit for DC-needing devices only. Also, I often cut several things over the course of several minutes, the constant on/off is not good for the cyclone motor. I prefer to start the cyclone and let it run during that time.

Also, a CS wouldn't work for floor sweeps, my broom is cordless

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Holmes View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the first one to come up with it. The hard part was finding the right switches, they're "backwards" from normal alarm system switches. And much more expensive.
    you need N.O. or normally open magnetic switches ( They are marked N.O. or N. C.- normally closed or can have both types in one switch). I have got used ones from an electrician that did alarm work for at $1 each, otherwise, Radio Shack at $6 each. To control my Grizzly 3 hp DC, I use a 24V/240V Air conditioner relay ( used also) mounted in an old fused knife switch box, also used. You can find 24V transformers used, off old furnaces. Spent about $40 to construct this system, back in 1988. Has been working well all these years.
    Last edited by Bryan Cowing; 01-05-2010 at 5:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Butler View Post
    What is the purpose of the bell transformer?
    It provides the current for the relay sensor loop. It outputs 16VAC over the wire running to the switches, when the gate opens the proximity switch closes, completing the circuit to the 220V relay and making it close the dust collector circuit.